Headers Hitting Steering Box

Mopar Exhaust Systems

1. Carcinogen

Carcinogen Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:37 AM
    Header can be a pain in the butt, reason I went with cast iron on last 72 Charger I had. It was just a cruiser, so I wasn’t after all the HP I could get.

Don’t blame you for not wanting the headache, laying on your back wrestling with starter and header is aggravating. Had headers off and on a few times before they fit ok.

If it was easy and cheap more people would have Old Mopars, you either need the skills and patience or a big wallet to keep these cars on the road.

• Like Like x 1
    • ToddMcF2002

ToddMcF2002 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      1:37 PM
      I have long tubes in my 65 Mustang which are tight on the shock towers but these 440’s redefine tight. I might try a set of Doug’s or just go to stock manifolds. My GTX is strictly a bomb around town & hit some shows car.

• gtx6970

gtx6970 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      10:37 AM
      My Coronet had hedmans on it when I bought it.

They hit both the power steering box and the torsion bar on drivers side. Not hard but same scenario as you mentioned. a slight rattle in park. and a deep growl in reverse .

The amount of work I just did to the car ( cleaning / detailing the engine compartment and rebuilding the front suspension ) I felt it was a good time to delete the headers and go back to stock . So thats what I did. and have zero regrets

• ToddMcF2002

ToddMcF2002 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      1:37 PM
      It took me around 90 minutes to change the plugs because of those headers. Now I'm good at it so I'm torn but I do think if I keep headers I've got to replace these particular ones. I guess Dougs make sense. I'll check the torsion I didn't think it was hitting but my bars have the front up fairly high at the moment. To clear the headers maybe?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.