• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headers with column shift?

CoronetDarter

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:57 AM
Reaction score
So I'm reading through this month's MM and came across an article about installing a TCI Outlaw shifter. What got my attention though was a line in the article saying (and I'm paraphrasing, don't have the mag in front of me) that 9 out of 10 times headers don't fit with a column shifted TF, you have to go console. The shifter was going in a Valiant so maybe the author was referring to A bodies? My Coronet is column shifted and I plan on installing headers - narrowed the choices down to TTI and Hooker. Is there any validity to the statement?

Apparently they interfere with the linkage. TTI have a good diagram on how to adjust the linkage to make the TTI fit. Its just flipping the attachement. Not sure if that will help clear all headers tho.

I was going to get TTI's because of my angled sparkies, but couldn't get any here, went with Doug's D452's instead based on a recommendation and looking at pics of the design. I have hooker comps now, wouldn't recommend them and the super comp's look to be the same design but with bigger primaries. <- Just my observations.

Apparently they interfere with the linkage. TTI have a good diagram on how to adjust the linkage to make the TTI fit. Its just flipping the attachement. Not sure if that will help clear all headers tho.

I was going to get TTI's because of my angled sparkies, but couldn't get any here, went with Doug's D452's instead based on a recommendation and looking at pics of the design. I have hooker comps now, wouldn't recommend them and the super comp's look to be the same design but with bigger primaries. <- Just my observations.

This is news to me. I've seen lots of pics of column cars with headers, but then again I didn't think about what it took to install them.

My very first car (66 383 Belvedere) was column shift and the headers fit just fine and have had several other cars with column shift and headers on them.

My very first car (66 383 Belvedere) was column shift and the headers fit just fine and have had several other cars with column shift and headers on them.

Thanks Cranky, that's a big relief.

From the Horses mouth:
http://www.ttiexhaust.com/Category-ClassicHeaders/440-200/TTi440-200_RB.htm

I don't know how that translates to other manufacturers, TTI seem to the only ones that give you this level of information. Also this si the 2" primary version, perhaps the smaller primaries will give you more clearance?
Thanks for the link Malicious. According to TTI the 2" primaries will interfere with the column shift linkage but the 1 3/4" and 1 7/8" require no modifications. Interestingly though, all three primary sizes do require some modification to floor shifted AT. Back in the early '80's when I had my 440 Charger with console shift, I remember adding Hedman headers and there was no fitment issues.
I'll call TTI before ordering.

My 66 Belvedere has a 440 in it with Hooker 5209's (2") and no issues. The one tube is really close to the column tube and I wrapped it with that sticky back mylar/fiberglass heat insulation tape and no issues.

Never heard of this problem on column shifted B Bodies before. :no:

My 66 Belvedere has a 440 in it with Hooker 5209's (2") and no issues. The one tube is really close to the column tube and I wrapped it with that sticky back mylar/fiberglass heat insulation tape and no issues.

Thanks Meep. Interference probably happens some percentage of the time so the manufacturers put out a bulletin to address the issue. I'm going with headers regardless so I'll deal with it if I have to.

- - - Updated - - -

Never heard of this problem on column shifted B Bodies before. :no:

Thanks Coyoteduster. It might have been a throw-away comment in the article, designed to promote the vendor's hardware.

Not sure if your throttle linkage is the 3 piece, but when I installed the TTI 2" primary headers on my '69 Bee, I had to make the narrowing modification to the bellcrank. Without narrowing it was rubbing on the headers and scraping off the ceramic coating. Found a guy to do the welding for me, and now no issues. Didn't make the throttle shaft mods. TTI has great illustrations of the modifications that need to be made.

http://www.ttiexhaust.com/PDF/FN36-SHT101-Bellcrank.pdf

Not sure if your throttle linkage is the 3 piece, but when I installed the TTI 2" primary headers on my '69 Bee, I had to make the narrowing modification to the bellcrank. Without narrowing it was rubbing on the headers and scraping off the ceramic coating. Found a guy to do the welding for me, and now no issues. Didn't make the throttle shaft mods. TTI has great illustrations of the modifications that need to be made.

http://www.ttiexhaust.com/PDF/FN36-SHT101-Bellcrank.pdf

I saw that bulletin. Interestingly the 1 7/8" header doesn't require mods (except 71 -74 B-bodies).

BTW, your Bee looks awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a column shifter 70 Superbee, 426 Hemi and TTI headers....

More good news! I figure between production tolerances, 40+ years of settling, type of motor mount, etc., each install is a little different. I'm planning on switching to FAST EFI in which case I may use Lokar cables.

Update

Got the engine/trans installed a couple of weeks ago. Went with Dougs D452 headers. There is plenty of room for the tranny linkage, the headers are closer to the starter and the T-bars than they are to the linkage.

Looking down the driver's side. With the steering column out the shift rod is resting against the m/c brake lines. It's possible once the column is in the shift rod will be close to the #7 header. I'll update when the column is in.
IMG_3206.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back