• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headlight cold air intake?

Malicious

Local time
4:04 PM
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had done a cold air intake through the inner headlights on this generation b-body?

Wondering how it looks and works. Love some pics if you have em!

I have not done it, but I like the idea. To me, it would be best to have both inner headlights attached to a modified dual-snorkel air cleaner. I guess just take a look where the ducts would run? I think the driver's side might have some interference with the radiator/battery (unless battery is in the trunk) and I'm not sure about the passenger side.

Regular "clothes drier flexible vent tubing" would make sense to me. I built one that way for a "brand X" car under the bumper & used ductwork components I found at a hardware store.

Thought of it one day & then realized would have to cut holes in rad.support to get to engine bay.

sucs_1033_09_o+chevy_performance_parts+spectre_grille_mounted_air_ducts.jpg

Here is one on a chev

Did it many moons ago on someone else's car, he picked up .2 on his next time out

Thought of it one day & then realized would have to cut holes in rad.support to get to engine bay.

Yeah this is what I was thinking too. I would seriously consider doing it, but I'm not sure on chopping up the rad support. That's why I was hoping to see some pics of someone else doing it! They look cool, lots of early 60's ford drag cars had them.

WileERobby, good numbers, just wondering if that is better or the same as running a Mopar traditional scoop - Hemi, twin's or air grabber.

Just been thinking about small custom touches lately...

Couple of pics of the Thunderbolt's from the early 60's. This would be cool with the twin ram horn (Correct name?) intake from the Max wedge.
ford_thunderbolt_1.jpg
0605_14z+1964_ford_fairlane+thunderbolt_intake_view.jpg
116813_Engine_Web.jpg

Yeah this is what I was thinking too. I would seriously consider doing it, but I'm not sure on chopping up the rad support. That's why I was hoping to see some pics of someone else doing it! They look cool, lots of early 60's ford drag cars had them.

WileERobby, good numbers, just wondering if that is better or the same as running a Mopar traditional scoop - Hemi, twin's or air grabber.

Just been thinking about small custom touches lately...

Somewhere I saw an old hemi car (66/67 Charger???) that was supposed to be an old NASCAR car. It had a dual snorkel type (sort of) air cleaner & it ducted air into the engine through the cowel (little vent slots in front of windshield). There were two holes cut into the firewall & an adapter plate on each side. It looked like it would be "reasonably easy" to fabricate something like that.

Here's something similar I found online on a Mopar
index.php?PHPSESSID=6on7a75qkv6sj3r44bisih6pt5&action=dlattach;topic=61130.jpg

Very easy to do on my 64 Dodge. After doing a lot of searching for the parts to do it with. Inner headlights line up with inner fenders, went thru the inner fenders with clothes dryer elbows . I tried several kinds of flex duct and finally went with the Spectre brand................................MO

IMG_0059.JPG IMG_0062.JPG IMG_0063.JPG IMG_0064.JPG

These pics were during experimenting . I cleaned it up with better duct and adapters........................MO

These pics were during experimenting . I cleaned it up with better duct and adapters........................MO

A cold air box is my next project for my Bee. I hope to route hard pipe from the aftermarket ram air box down & out the existing fender holes where you can access the upper control arms. I must move my battery to the trunk do I can use the hole on the driver's side. At 1st I was going to route the tubes to my inner headlight buckets but I dont want to cut any new holes. I'll have to reduce the pipe from 4 inch down to 3 inch so they'll fit through the 2 holes.

I wonder if you could rewire the outer headlights for high low beam for A Streetcar
Im pretty sure you could use a different set of headlights. Not sure how the wiring would need to be modified though. At 1st I was going to run ductwork to my inner headlights but I don't want to put anything on my car that isn't easily reversed like cutting 4 inch holes for access. I'm going to attempt to use hard pipe instead of the 'slinky material'. And I'm hoping I can route both sides through the access he's in the fender that are used to access the upper control arm bolts. I just ordered my new air box but they have a 3 week delay in shipping. Ill be using 1 of this brands boxes. I'll be able to use a 25 inch over the counter air filter. With the Spectre brand boxes you must buy all your future air filters from them because they are an uncommon size.

Screenshot_20211004-123017.png

Last edited:
There has to be some compromise of function and appearance.
Those huge clothes dryer ducts look horrible. Yeah, I know that for function, they probably work great.
Our popular open element air cleaners look fantastic but in warmer weather, the engine is sucking in 140 degree or hotter air...not an optimal situation.

440 3.jpg

There has to be some compromise of function and appearance.
Those huge clothes dryer ducts look horrible. Yeah, I know that for function, they probably work great.
Our popular open element air cleaners look fantastic but in warmer weather, the engine is sucking in 140 degree or hotter air...not an optimal situation.

View attachment 1175017
Ive noticed people using a really short air intake runner that remains within the engine compartment. So the air they're getting is hot. It seems like a waste to do unless they route the intake runners out of the engine compartment & get them as low to the ground as possible.

Auto Transport Service
Back