• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

headlight problem '68 Charger

44070dart

Local time
12:58 AM
Reaction score
turn on my headlights and all the lights work except the headlights.. the harness connector from the bulkhead looks a bit melted at the secondary connection near the battery... is there some way to disconnect the harness at the connector by the battery location and hot wire the head lights to see if that connector from the bulkhead is bad..I got the front marker light to work like that by touching a hot wire to one of the connectors, but not headlights.... you can tell from question I'm not a wiring genius.. also the headlight doors open fine.

Did you check for voltage at the connectors? If you don't have voltage there, work backwards until you find your voltage loss. Factory wiring diagram will be your best friend here. I am not an electrical genius, but the diagrams help out huge and can make it pretty simple for ya. Doors are vacuum, so that is completely separate from the actual lights themselves.

If it were me......I'd check for power coming out of the car at the bulkhead. Then I would go from there if there is power and follow the wiring until I found the area with no juice. Then go back until you find the damaged wire/plug. Really, testing it from bulkhead to lights is only proving your bulbs are good. Chances of all 4 headlight harness taking a crap at once is slim to none, so it most likely is somewhere back where it gets its power from. Volt meter and 15-20 minutes, and I bet you find your issue pretty quick. Just find which color wire supplies power to headlights. I would help with that, but my manual is at home in the shop right now. If the power isn't at the bulkhead, then you're going to have to go into the dash harness from the switch to the firewall. If that plugs melted, chances are your issue is near or in that area. Good luck man!
:thumbsup:

there is only power at one of the wires of the connector and I'm sure that one is the marker light ..so the problem is in the interior connection between the bulkhead and switch ..... ****, I don't know how I'm going to get under that dash, my knee is acting up so it will have to wait a few days... thanks

Did you check at the firewall bulkhead and make sure there isn't power there? If there is, then its somewhere between that and the headlights themselves. If there is no juice at the bulkhead, then into the car you go to stand on your head under the dash.

Check for power at the dimmer switch to see if the problem is no power from the switch, or no power between headlights and dimmer switch.

Auto Transport Service
Back