• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headlight switche don’t work, headlight switch and dimmer switch warm

Purepony

Local time
3:12 PM
Reaction score
I replaced the dimmer switch before along with the harness because it had melted the pigtail harness and it worked for a while but today I had no headlights and I realized that the wires on the pig tail were warm along with the switch.
Any ideas how to go about fixing this ? thabks all

Something is drawing a bigger load. Unfortunately, you have to find it. Take the wiring diagram and troubleshoot that circuit and see what you find.

Don't forget that the dimmer switch is for all intensive purposes a heater coil and what are you running for headlights, not halogens I hope. I use to back in time...
beerestoration2018 1271.JPG

Check bulkhead connector for pushed out wires inside under dash.

As mentioned, sounds as if the stock headlamp circuit is over-loaded. Aftermarket headlamps on the stock wiring? Besides the wiring this can damage the hi/low dimmer switch and/or the circuit breaker within the headlamp switch. Do the needed troubleshooting and consider adding headlamp relays.

Try this. Unplug wiring from dimmer switch. Turn on headlight switch.

If the switch gets hot, look at the switch, taillights, front markers, instrument lighting and grounds.

Stay cool, then look at wiring in the front of your car, bulkhead, dimmer, headlights and grounds.

Last edited:
Not just overload, but bad conditions contacts ( rust, dust ) on same stock loads. Points inside the switch can get damaged too getting worn or loosen...

A physical damage somewhere into te circuit will heat that point. Of course the heat will be radiated along the line, but so the initial heating point is where to start because will be the hotter.

As mentioned, sounds as if the stock headlamp circuit is over-loaded. Aftermarket headlamps on the stock wiring? Besides the wiring this can damage the hi/low dimmer switch and/or the circuit breaker within the headlamp switch. Do the needed troubleshooting and consider adding headlamp relays.
I think this is going to be my issue because it stopped when I replaced the dimmer switch before and everything worked fine then it started again

Try this. Unplug wiring from dimmer switch. Turn on headlight switch.

If the switch gets hot, look at the switch, taillights, front markers, instrument lighting and grounds.

Stay cool, then look at wiring in the front of your car, bulkhead, dimmer, headlights and grounds.
Good idea I’ll try this week. Is the switch supposed to get warm ?

Thank everyone for the input

Good idea I’ll try this week. Is the switch supposed to get warm ?

It might get a little warm only because it has current passing through it. It should not get hot.

Relays are a great idea to reduce load on the switch/bulkhead. I know a guy that does the kits... :)

It might get a little warm only because it has current passing through it. It should not get hot.

Relays are a great idea to reduce load on the switch/bulkhead. I know a guy that does the kits... :)
How much would a kit be around ? It did melt the pigtail on the floor so somethings not right and that’s a new pigtail i just put in too

Even new part are bad these days. Check the red and violet wires out of dimmer going forward for your headlights, for any pinches or grounding.

I’m going to check what you suggested and if I don’t see improvement I’ll order the kit. I don’t want this happening again

how hard is the kit to install ?

Hey Crackedback, your mail box is full, need one of your kits, can you contact me

Hey Crackedback, your mail box is full, need one of your kits, can you contact me

Did I miss it or did you never identify the type of head lights your have installed? Normal OE lights would not pull the kind of current to generate heat enough for harness toasting. I think in our older vehicles the head light Relay kit is a very good idea but it won't solve a problem occurring between it and the light/dimmer switches. There may indeed be a high resistance short to ground somewhere along the way causing the heat up and harness toasting.

Not saying to abandon the relay kit modification at all. Just be ready to do more troubleshooting and wire chasing. Please keep us updated.

Auto Transport Service
Back