• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headlights: Getting close to an answer

David Kosin

Local time
2:07 PM
Reaction score
I have been working on the headlights for months. Got them to roll up/down but will only do so a couple times then they quit working again. Been testing everything. Did note this:

When i reset the headlights in the closed position, i checked the limit switch to which the plunger comes into contact. Using a continuity tester, i can see that the normally open switch is now closed and no continuity. If i run another cycle the headlights close, but now there is still continuity in the switch and they will not work again until manually reset.

If i roll the buckets down by hand i can hear the plunger depress the switch. After another cycle it seems like the plunger is not fully depressing the limit switch. I have heard others say that the brackets must be tight. But there is so little of the switch to depress even a minimal off set leaves the switch open. I am nervous about stripping the holding straps if i crank them down harder.

Anyone come across an issue like this, and if so what did you do?

I'm confused.
The limit switches are NC not NO.
When they open, the headlights don't rotate.
See prints post 1.
Both rotate until both sides limit switches are open.
Up and down.
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/rotating-headlight-relay-modification.135356/

See post 6.
Maybe that will help.

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...sembly-will-not-rotate.177278/#post-911326082

If they both work and then both stop, I'm suspecting the control relays (circuit) and not the limit switches themselves.

Ok. I believe my terminology is backward. When the headlight bucket plunger is rotated down and the limit switch is depressed, the circuit on the limit switch is open (no continuity). After a couple cycles, and the headlight bucket is rotated down again, the system fails and I find that the circuit is closed (continuity).

After many years and much road grit these will stick. Mine did.
You can try a lubricant and simply exercise the switches or the simple solution, just replace them.
Topher, (HeadlampMotorMan) has reproductions. Eliminate that issue once and for all. My 2 cents
https://headlightmotorman.webs.com/

Thanks. Looks like I'm headed that way with Topher. He wanted me to check a few things first. With no background in deciphering electrical schematics, i am still trying to figure out the ones referred by onlyone.

Ok. I believe my terminology is backward. When the headlight bucket plunger is rotated down and the limit switch is depressed, the circuit on the limit switch is open (no continuity). After a couple cycles, and the headlight bucket is rotated down again, the system fails and I find that the circuit is closed (continuity).

BOTH headlight "buckets" are "powered" until BOTH up or down limit switches are "depressed" depending on what the control relays are being told to do.
i.e. "Open" or "close" by your headlight switch.
The buckets are going to be told to open or close buy your headlight switch. (Discounting the "override" hold open switch)
Therefore, I suspect your issue is in the other part of the circuit.
i.e. a control relay.

The open and closes switches are wired in "parallel".
That's the reason for my modification to change that.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back