• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headlights

Beavis

Local time
5:52 PM
Reaction score
what are the original headlights for a 69 Roadrunner ?

what are the original headlights for a 69 Roadrunner ?
I "think" the original ones were made by GE since I see people selling those from time-to-time for quite a bit of money. I think I saw someone on this site selling some earlier this week, fyi

most were GE there were some Westinghouse also. with the GE the early bulbs had a single large 1 or 2 at top center of bulb, and a USA vertical in one of the little squares down to the left side of bulb and some numbers vertical in a square on the right side of bulb up to 1973. You can some times make out the date stamped in red or black ink on the back side of lens. 1974 and later had a 2D1 at the top and a vertical DOT in the square next to the USA and a second row of numbers on right. Don't know the Westinghouse bulbs as well.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the ones you need are the Tung-Sol #4001 and 4002 hi and low beams. This was correct for my '64 Belvy (still not absolutely sure). There are sellers on Ebay with them for good prices, still in the original packages. To be clear, I know those are good old school originals, but I don't know what the factories supplied, nor if it varied from coast to coast or time to time. HTH, Lefty71

Last edited:
They originals were wide flute 4001/4002 GE.....Westinghouse was late 69 for the 69 1/2 and 70 above cars...They are also dated......Depending on how accurate you want to be makes that more of a challenge.....Red script date is incorrect for 69....

Careful what you buy on Ebay......The majority are the "narrow flute" versions and those are incorrect......The wide flutes are getting very hard to find.....The price accompanies that....

Below is the link to my thread for a correct reference.....

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...gtx-restoration.127388/page-17#post-910664307

I actually bought some GE Halogens from Rock Auto a while back when they sent
me an e-mail about discontinued parts for my 68 GTX. I want to keep the originals
tucked away. Who knows! There's got to be bunches of them sitting on shelves some-
where?

I actually bought some GE Halogens from Rock Auto a while back when they sent
me an e-mail about discontinued parts for my 68 GTX. I want to keep the originals
tucked away. Who knows! There's got to be bunches of them sitting on shelves some-
where?
Some of us have bunches of them but they not for sale........

The original lights last forever.......Back in the day when people were stripping cars and pitching the lights.....Some of us have enough sense to keep them. I remember buying a case of the NOS GE lights in the early 80's for the price of what they are selling a single one today, lol.....

I never pass up good originals or NOS.....So when you see a four door 68/69 someone is parting out ask them about the headlights......Most think your nuts for wanting them and they practically give them away....

Yeah, you're right! I just wish I had the sense to buy up every Hemi car I came across
in the early 80's! I dunnow WHAT I was thinking about!

Yeah, you're right! I just wish I had the sense to buy up every Hemi car I came across
in the early 80's! I dunnow WHAT I was thinking about!
lol....amongst many many other things...........Some of us made fortunate choices......

I will say this.....Even for reproduction parts, the time is very limited(I am no fan off repro parts).....Anyone considering restoring a car had better start erasing there want list.....I have inside knowledge and a lot of parts are not getting reproduced once they are off the shelf......

NOS is virtually gone.....reproduction parts are slowly being phased out......

It is crazy where the end of our hobby is going to....

So, what you're saying is my GTX will be worth more that a Ferarri to my Grandkids?
Once the old cars all get found, (in barns) no one will need quarters, glass, etc.
No market for parts, no supply. I get it. A point in time. None of the young kids want
the older cars from the 30's, 40's, and 50's now! The 60's are next.

So, what you're saying is my GTX will be worth more that a Ferarri to my Grandkids?
Once the old cars all get found, (in barns) no one will need quarters, glass, etc.
No market for parts, no supply. I get it. A point in time. None of the young kids want
the older cars from the 30's, 40's, and 50's now! The 60's are next.
Just where did I state such? I didn't......Dont overhead what I am referring to.....Other generation as a whole do not care about these hunks of steel and realistically can't afford it.....

The point is there just won't be many available parts in totality........Has ZERO to do with value......

So for the guys restoring their cars currently and in the near future have best start buying what they need.......

The Mopar end is not profitable for the vendors.......and they are slowly ditching parts......

Auto Transport Service
Back