• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headliner Repair

wthalin

Local time
5:57 PM
Reaction score
Original headliner was perfect and one of the main seems just gave out right above my head dumping insulation on me every time I get in. Any suggestions on a product to help at least as a temporary fix? Tried gaffers tape, but won't stay on probably since it is hanging upside down.

Sew it closed by hand, it works good, but a bit difficult to do overhead.

Last edited:
Sail cloth needle. Work's the best. I did not put that cloth insulation in my car so wont have that problem. Put X mat on the roof.

No, no mice that I am aware of. Have plenty of traps in the garage. It is just breaking up. All original headliner so bummer that the seems are finally giving it out. Used to be the nicest part of the interior! haha

Link to the X-mat stuff?

Yes they get old and fall apart. Sad, I’ve had the same problem a couple times.

had a sewing lady stitch some up.

Yeah, I've been cleaning my original pearl white interior, getting a lot of the smoke staining and years of non-cleaning out of everything. Some of it's cleaning up well, some not. My rear seam is coming apart now. I can't remember if it was already separating or not but I definitely made it worse. I was thinking of trying one of the curved sail needles and trying to patch it in place. I'm also going to try to sew up my visors as most of the stitching was out of them when I bought the car. First pic is the left one cleaned up and right not yet. Unfortunately I don't have a pic of the separated seam. Good luck with fixing yours, let us know what you do.
IMG_3421.JPG
IMG_3426.JPG
IMG_3431.JPG

If it is anything like mine was, it's dry rotted and the more you touch it, the worse it will get.
Replacement is the only option.

Auto Transport Service
Back