• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heads.

Bruce H Canam

Local time
3:11 PM
Reaction score
Question about heads, 383 - stock pistons, mild cam, 400 intake, HP exhaust manifolds, 3.23 sure grip, 727. Putting in a 66 Charger. Hoping to get input on which heads are best suited for best performance. Have a set of 516 heads and a set of 452 heads? Thanks guys.

Question about heads, 383 - stock pistons, mild cam, 400 intake, HP exhaust manifolds, 3.23 sure grip, 727. Putting in a 66 Charger. Hoping to get input on which heads are best suited for best performance. Have a set of 516 heads and a set of 452 heads? Thanks guys.
What year 383 67 and earlier or 68-71? Piston deck height, dished or flat top, valve reliefs?

If it's a 65 casting the 516's could have been stock on it. 452 heads were a later head, about 72. They are about the same as 906's with hardened seats. If you have a 68 engine the 516's could cause you a problem with flat top pistons and no reliefs. You just have to make some critical measurements. If you chose the 516's have 174 exhaust valves installed for better flow and increased performance.

For that application my preference would be the 516’s.

But....... only if they could be brought back to a pretty good degree of serviceability without spending too much more than you’d have to on the 452’s.
Call it...... a $200-ish spread max.

Get the 452s shaved .070 to get the compression up and you will have hardened seats and a head with much more performance potential..
If you leave them alone it's a toss up. But I would not put much money in 516s.

I just had a set of 516 heads fitted it 500 rated springs new 1.74 exhaust valves but did some horse trading and got them done for 200 bucks.

I would want to know the deck height of the pistons in the motor, before i made a decision. You say they are stock, but WHAT stock? I would probably lean toward the 516s if you put the bigger exhaust in, but if you just want to throw them on , the 452s will flow better.
For me ,it would really depend on how far down in the hole your pistons are.

Auto Transport Service
Back