• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heat/AC Confusion

louser151

Local time
3:31 AM
Reaction score
My '66 Coronet Wagon is a factory A/C car, and I have power to the controls, and power to the heater resistor. The blower motor fan kicks on with A/C and Max A/C, and the fan speed control works, but as soon as I hit the Heat, or Def button the blower motor shuts off and there is no power to the blower motor resistor. I am kind of lost. Any words of guidance?

It sounds like your heater A/C vacuum switch has failed. The plastic unit behind the push buttons.

So from the top pin to the bottom pin should there be continuity between the 2 in all modes? I have it in all except heat, so I bought a used one and same thing. Should I be looking for something else?

So from the top pin to the bottom pin should there be continuity between the 2 in all modes? I have it in all except heat, so I bought a used one and same thing. Should I be looking for something else?

Sounds like my 74 Charger. Let me know if you figure it out. I have blower motor blowing on max AC and AC positions, but nothing anywhere else. And I think my fan speed control only blows on high. I'm in the middle of getting AC back in the car and hope to get it all working correctly.

I am having the exact same issue with my 69 Charger. I will be watching this thread.

Be aware that there are two feeds, from two separate fuses to the vacuum switch. So check those first and then verify all the connections are good. You really need a service manual to troubleshoot unless someone chimes in that remembers which wire colors go to which termination points, and which terminal should have power in 'heat' mode. (sorry I don't remember). And, some manuals have a separate A/C-Heat schematic in the A/C section, not with the other wiring diagrams. (That much I remember!)
What I would do is turn it on heat, and check for voltage starting at the motor and work my way back up the circuit to find where it's losing power.

Auto Transport Service
Back