• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heat riser help

qkcuda

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:07 PM
Reaction score
I just bought a 66 Charger. It is a 361 big block. The previous owner converted it to a carter AFB with a cast iron manifold. It has the typical problems with gas boiling and flooding. I have a new performer 383 manifold, and a 625 Street Demon carb with the phenolic fuel bowl. I also purchased a valley gasket with the blocked heat riser. This will be a summer driver only and i want to minimize heat related gas problems.

Now my question. The heat riser is intact and moves freely, and has the counterweight but but is missing the spring. I want to wire it wide open. I assume that it is weighted so that it returns to the closed position? I was hoping not to have to drop the headpipe to check.

I just bought a 66 Charger. It is a 361 big block. The previous owner converted it to a carter AFB with a cast iron manifold. It has the typical problems with gas boiling and flooding. I have a new performer 383 manifold, and a 625 Street Demon carb with the phenolic fuel bowl. I also purchased a valley gasket with the blocked heat riser. This will be a summer driver only and i want to minimize heat related gas problems.

Now my question. The heat riser is intact and moves freely, and has the counterweight but but is missing the spring. I want to wire it wide open. I assume that it is weighted so that it returns to the closed position? I was hoping not to have to drop the headpipe to check.
The flow of exhaust will "blow" it open.
The small spring is just there to reduce rattling.
I wonder if he is missing the thermostatic spring? When the valve is closed the counterweight is half way up. When the valve is open the counter weight is down. Wire it open and block off the passage with your gasket.

Last edited:
Yes, the thermostatic spring is gone. Thanks for all the replies!

Auto Transport Service
Back