• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater control unit 1972

willem

Local time
11:30 PM
Reaction score
Hi there,

I recently replaced the heater control unit for my 1972 Dodge Coronet Wagon. The unit i had cracked at a mounting point and had some more cracks in the plastic, so i decided to replace it. The one i got as a replacement is a bit different though, i have added a few pictures in the thread as well. As you can see the mechanisms for pulling the cord are a bit different, and the old one (mine) also has some thing with a few vacuum lines.

I have added a few pictures of the units. the left one is the one i had in the car.

Does anyone know if i can replace one with the other, and what that vacume line thing is for?

regards. Willem

20190628_103111.jpg 20190628_103116.jpg 20190628_103122.jpg 20190628_103137.jpg 20190628_103140.jpg 20190628_103144.jpg

vacuum switch is so when you go to full cold vacuum is applied to the heater core shut of valve under the hood to stop coolant from flowing to the heater core.

Ok, yes.... i can remember i had one of those valves when i bought the car. unfortunately it was completely rotted out so i trashed that :D

I think i'll try to just fit the control without strato vent features, who knows... maybe it will work :)

One other question though: my heater controls were mounted to the back of the dash cluster with 2 things that looked like nuts, but were actually washers shaped like nuts. Does anyone know what part number those things have?
I know this sounds like i'm lazy :D.... but i really dont have a clue what keyword to search for in the webshop, or what to pick with items without a picture

thx!

71/2 were vacuum controlled for the heater hose shut off. 73 and up were cable operated.

I think these are what your referring to.https://m.grainger.com/mobile/produ...f9Yz9c2eau1b6tD4dv8aEQPA70JRCK-RoCQmcQAvD_BwE
Ok, yes.... i can remember i had one of those valves when i bought the car. unfortunately it was completely rotted out so i trashed that :D

I think i'll try to just fit the control without strato vent features, who knows... maybe it will work :)

One other question though: my heater controls were mounted to the back of the dash cluster with 2 things that looked like nuts, but were actually washers shaped like nuts. Does anyone know what part number those things have?
I know this sounds like i'm lazy :D.... but i really dont have a clue what keyword to search for in the webshop, or what to pick with items without a picture

thx!

I have a strato vent control if your interested

Auto Transport Service
Back