• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater Core Replacement

slepr1

Local time
4:08 PM
Reaction score
I started to smell antifreeze inside my 77 Cordoba while driving. Reading previous posts on this subject I saw that getting the heater core rebuilt is the way to go. I've never removed one before and was prepared to just start unfastening anything that looks like is needed. Its an a/c car and I'll have the seats out anyway while replacing my carpet. Is it pretty straightforward? Anything I should do/change or replace while everything is apart?

Edit: All the a/c parts were removed 30 yrs ago from under the hood.

Last edited:
Would have ac evaporator pressure tested if old copper style you are good to go. All aluminum tested possible replacement concidered. You will need to discharge ac

Would have ac evaporator pressure tested if old copper style you are good to go. All aluminum tested possible replacement concidered. You will need to discharge ac

I forgot to mention that all the a/c from under the hood was removed 30 yrs ago when the 440 went in. Is the evaporator core next to the heater core? Should I remove it?

Removing the evaporator may cause air flow problems. Figure out the different ways the air moves through the heater box when different air doors are actuated. That will tell you if the evaporator can be left out. Plug the holes too, if removal is done.
Mike

IMG_4140.JPG
IMG_4141.JPG
IMG_4142.JPG

You're welcome. I replaced a heater core on a '75 Cordoba in the '90s. It wasn't that bad.
The manual is a Chilton's I bought in the '80s.
Check Ebay, used book stores. I imagine it is out of print.

Chiltons 73-80 American cars. I looked on Ebay and there were 2. Around $20. I don't know what happened to the cover of mine.

I just looked again. There are a couple. Very cheap. Has a 1980 Mustang on front. Says 1980 on cover. Says 1973-1980 in small print at top right of cover. It's a hardback book. About 2 1/2" thick.

Auto Transport Service
Back