• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater fan removal

Kevin Bisgrove

Local time
3:33 PM
Reaction score
How do I remove the fan from the heater box plate? There is a set screw which I've backed out. Do I just need to pop it or is there something else to it?
Screenshot_20200610-231418.png

Just the set screw. Looks in pretty rough shape so its probably rusted onto the shaft. Let the oil soak in but its probably still gonna need a tap or two to get it loose.

I slid two pinch bars under mine, gently pushing down with my knees and gave the shaft a rap with a brass drift and hammer.

Just the set screw. Looks in pretty rough shape so its probably rusted onto the shaft. Let the oil soak in but its probably still gonna need a tap or two to get it loose.
Perfect thanks. I'll squirt squirt and tap tap!
Yeah my heater unit is pretty rough. Been looking for a few replacement parts under to wanted ad. Most of the box and parts are decent but not awesome!

I slid two pinch bars under mine, gently pushing down with my knees and gave the shaft a rap with a brass drift and hammer.
I'll give it a go thanks. I figured I was going on it right but didn't want to wreck things

Everything in those boxes was bare metal from the factory and prone to rust BUT everything but the riveted brackets can be removed and blasted. The riveted brackets can be cleaned in place with a rust remover - painted with rustoleum "stainless steel" afterwards for that original bare metal look. The motors are an easy rebuild. In my case the brushes were shot but I managed to get replacements at a local electric motor rebuilder and I just cleaned up the armature with a file in my drill press. If the plastic housing is damaged it can be repaired with fiberglass (inside) - I had to rebuild a complete circular duct that somehow got smashed.

have restored many heater boxes and this has worked for me in the past. loosen set screw and remove. grab shaft with vice grip and try to rotate cage with some penetrating oil applied. may have to apply a small amount of heat if cage does not break free from shaft. once you can rotate cage on shaft by holding shaft with vice grips, apply more oil and move cage closer to motor. remove vice grip and clean remaining rust on shaft and clean any distortion from vice grip either with some emery paper or a small file and then remove cage once you get the rust off shaft. never try to pry cage off shaft as that will distort cage and put it out of balance. do not tap on shaft. that just creates more problems than getting cage off.

have restored many heater boxes and this has worked for me in the past. loosen set screw and remove. grab shaft with vice grip and try to rotate cage with some penetrating oil applied. may have to apply a small amount of heat if cage does not break free from shaft. once you can rotate cage on shaft by holding shaft with vice grips, apply more oil and move cage closer to motor. remove vice grip and clean remaining rust on shaft and clean any distortion from vice grip either with some emery paper or a small file and then remove cage once you get the rust off shaft. never try to pry cage off shaft as that will distort cage and put it out of balance. do not tap on shaft. that just creates more problems than getting cage off.
Makes perfect sense I'll give it a try!

Everything in those boxes was bare metal from the factory and prone to rust BUT everything but the riveted brackets can be removed and blasted. The riveted brackets can be cleaned in place with a rust remover - painted with rustoleum "stainless steel" afterwards for that original bare metal look. The motors are an easy rebuild. In my case the brushes were shot but I managed to get replacements at a local electric motor rebuilder and I just cleaned up the armature with a file in my drill press. If the plastic housing is damaged it can be repaired with fiberglass (inside) - I had to rebuild a complete circular duct that somehow got smashed.
I removed the rivets and will plan to replace. I'm sure it will be fine?

Auto Transport Service
Back