• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater Hose...How far onto the water pump fitting

Macdon221

Local time
9:08 AM
Reaction score
Good Day all,

What would be the factory correct way to install the heater hose onto the outer water pump nipple/fitting? Does it go all the way down till the end is touching the the water pump housing...down past the temperature sending unit...or just slid onto the fitting until the diameter gets larger...ie the first inch or so? Hard to see in a number of build pics I have viewed.

Thanks

macdon221

I'm pretty sure there's a small shoulder on the fitting and the hose goes up to it.

As much as needed to secure the hose with the clamp.

You might be overthinking your restoration. No offense intended. :D

Wasn't trying to overthink it...but I am **** (lol)....I did a test piece and slid it all the way down to the housing and it was impossible to get off without cutting...even with Vaseline on the fitting..was just trying to see what the correct was to try and prevent that.

Why would you want it to come off easy? and for god sakes don't put lube on the fitting! No need to put it down that far and the last thing you want is for it to come off easy.
beerestoration2017 735.JPG
beerestoration2017 757.JPG

I just put “lube” on there to temporarily to ease in sliding it on and off to get the length just right. All cleaned off before final fit.

I have the hoses done like yours now as well. I really appreciate the pics!!

It's your car and it's your build. Put them where ever you feel the most comfortable with! As long as they don't leak is what's important! Good Luck

Here are a couple pictures of what supposed to be a survivor. Looks like they jammed them down as far as they could. I believe this was a 68 GTX.
B03482B8-06C9-4C1E-9AFF-AB3C430024CD.jpeg
7ED2863A-FD5B-49CB-8B61-A6F4083E155C.jpeg
D0BDFBF4-751A-48BD-AEBB-1C00D3F89672.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back