• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HEI Distributors

Houle #382

Local time
10:24 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced their Mopar electronic ignition with a HEI distributor ? If so was there a noticeable performance gain ? Correct me if I'm wrong but from I have read most all HEI distributors do not require the Ballast Resister or the control box ( orange, chrome or what ever color you run ). Some due require a 6AL box that you mount in the engine compartment somewhere and some don't require the 6AL box. Is one better than the other. Just trying to get a feel if it's worth changing as I'm not sure how old my electronic distributor is. I know some HEI's are setup for cams other than stock cams and I'm running a Huges Engine cam with 530 intake lift and 536 Exhaust lift with duration at 228 degree at .050 intake and 232 degree duration Exhaust. There are quite a few different HEI's out there are there any to stay away from ? Thanks for the input !

I have the MSD 6 AL IGNITION box on my 440. When I park it, I shut off the fuel pump to drain the fuel from the carb. It won't die until the mixture leans out past 16 to 1. That's the advantage of HEI, It will fire a lean mixture. I would be installing the HEI CONVERSION, if I didn't already have the 6 AL BOX. Looks pretty simple on the wiring. I may buy an HEI MODULE and hook it up to a dist on the bench, just to check it out.

The distributor used would be a magnetic pick up for spark signal. Then the amplifier unit would be the 6AL, GM HEI MODULE, or Chrysler stock ignition box. This last one requires a ballast resistor

I use a simple gm hei module with my factory electronic distributor and an MSD blaster canister coil . 12v constant spark . no ecu or ballast. I have about 10 bucks in it. quicker starts , starts much better when the fuel is hot .

D616C165-4879-4490-B1F2-DD6FAA715C18.png
Just use a mopar electronic dizzy and do this. You also eliminate the ballast resistor.

This setup make a world of difference and is very inexpensive.

It eliminates the factory box and ballast resistor.

Yep, toss the chrome box in the trash.

I also use the power from the key to run a relay and let the relay power the coil with a separate power feed.

That's what I thought, I'm looking at the Pertronix Ignitor 111 #71381A. If I go this way everything will be inside the dizzy. My only question is If I go this way do I need to change the cap and plug wires to the HEI setup

That's what I thought, I'm looking at the Pertronix Ignitor 111 #71381A. If I go this way everything will be inside the dizzy. My only question is If I go this way do I need to change the cap and plug wires to the HEI setup

I run stock cap and wires.

Play with the plug gap and your good to go.

I was looking this one with rev-limiter.
Edit: Picture.

ft3.JPG

Last edited:
Did not show up went to a blank order page. Think that is the III you are talking about. They work great. Gets rid of the box and ballast resistor also. Thy wires right to the coil. I believe you set the rev limiter to your max and you are good to go. Uses the stock coil and wires.

Did not show up went to a blank order page. Think that is the III you are talking about. They work great. Gets rid of the box and ballast resistor also. Thy wires right to the coil. I believe you set the rev limiter to your max and you are good to go. Uses the stock coil and wires.
Should've known cart would be blank after leaving site. Should snipped picture in the first place.

Just got off the phone with Pertronix, they don't have a ignitor 111 to convert the Chrysler electronic distributor to use it, I was looking at the 71381A and the 71385 but according to the tech they wont work. They do have a Igniter 11 kit. Really don't want to spend $300 + for the HEI distributor but might have to.

Just got off the phone with Pertronix, they don't have a ignitor 111 to convert the Chrysler electronic distributor to use it, I was looking at the 71381A and the 71385 but according to the tech they wont work. They do have a Igniter 11 kit. Really don't want to spend $300 + for the HEI distributor but might have to.
493Mikes post #7 is a cheap easy way to try HEI. If you jump to the e-core coil that's $75. Here is a cheap one. There is one for $17 but name brand go $45 to $75. not mine No need to buy a dist if have a etectronic dist.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Proform-66...=item1a6bae43a9:g:98QAAOSwxPNcHU~U:rk:46:pf:0

Dude I can make you somethin for 140 and the ride if you don't care about numbers! Still need your number to start with and all the symptoms. Numbers are a whole different game.

Auto Transport Service
Back