• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HEI like I'm 5

3rdgenCharger

Local time
5:22 AM
Reaction score
I've searched.. Here and google. Evidently I'm not smart enough to do this, so will somebody please excuse my ignorance while explaining how to convert my 1974 charger 318 car to HEI.. I'm sure that's been worn out here but I'm telling ya.. This is wearing me out.
1. Last owner got rid of the points and installed orange box.
2.Ive read ive got to use the "run and start" wires to the new HEI distributer. What wires are those??
3. What components do I need to get out of the car once HEI is wired? Voltage regulator? Orange box? Etc..
4. I cant think of anything else..

Any and all help is very much appreciated.. Thank you in advanced.
-Matt

20190615_135032.jpg 20190615_135042.jpg 20190615_135006_HDR.jpg 20190615_135003_HDR.jpg 20190615_135023_HDR.jpg 20190615_135018_HDR.jpg

Connect this wire.
upload_2019-6-15_13-32-51.png

To here.
upload_2019-6-15_13-21-54.png

Using one of these.
upload_2019-6-15_13-24-43.png

Last edited:
welcome to FBBO

maybe post the question in the Ignition
&/or electronics forum/s section here on FBBO too

good luck

You will need the wire that goes to the + side of the old coil with the blue wire hooked together connected to the Bat terminal on the new dist cap. That way you will feed power both while cranking and run positions of the ignition switch. Pat

Designedtodrive sells a bracket that mount to bottom of dist and hei unit mounts to it for easy install.

Jumper from the brown side of the ballast resistor and take that to the batt terminal on the HEI. Try that and see if it works.

Regarding the 'start' and 'run' wires-
There are two wires coming from your ignition switch.. (should be!)a brown and a blue w/ a stripe. The brown lands on one side of the ballast resistor, as a junction point, and carries 12 volts directly to the coil from there when cranking the starter. When the key is released to the 'run' position, the 12 volts from the ignition switch is now carried on the blue w/stripe wire, goes through the resistor and then to the coil. This lets the coil get full voltage only when starting. When running, the resistor knocks the voltage down some to avoid damaging the coil. With the factory setup, the coil could withstand 12v during cranking but would fry if it got the full 12v the whole time the car was running.

Dang thing still won't start.. Gonna do some more trouble shooting in the morning
Relax and take it from the beginning, you'll get it figured out. Try this, just to verify: get a voltage tester. First, unplug the main coil wire to the distributor cap! Now unplug the wires from the ballast resistor and have someone turn the key to start, while checking for voltage. Then check them with the key in run. Make note of which wire was hot at which key position. This way you can at least verify which wire is which. You said the previous owner changed things; they could have swapped colors or done who knows what!

that's pretty neat stuff the guy offers, as muchas i dislike saying this, but a strong argument can be made that the general did have a better electronic ignition system.

The HEI is as good or better then any aftermarket system out there.

74 Mopars did not come with points. Wouldn't work with a Orange box anyway. Just buy a $50.00 reman Mopar distributor and be done with it. No modifications or problems. You should be asking the company/person who sold you the distributor these questions. Should have come with directions.....I apologize for the last few lines. But not for keeping simple. If you want to go HEI, do it right and get quality components. The Mopar system still works and it looks like you only lack a distributor...........anyone disagree with that ?

Mopar_Electronic_Ignition_diagram.jpg

Last edited:
jaysus....there should be a dick of the day thread and some posts should be sent there.....
look,that hei he has looks identical to the one i got off ebay,and if it is,
the instructions!! lol were garbage and literally 2 sentences.
it turned out to be a chinese by-product so theres no telling how good it really even is.
i personally never used mine,shelved it,im interested to see how the op makes out with it.
at any rate,why not dial it back a hair and help the guy.

to the Op,
im surprised because i have the same dis and i wondered if it actually fit in any mopars with that big cap.

also,the hei system was Always regarded as way better than the others.
it still holds its own with the aftermarket stuff.

jaysus....there should be a dick of the day thread and some posts should be sent there.....
look,that hei he has looks identical to the one i got off ebay,and if it is,
the instructions!! lol were garbage and literally 2 sentences.
it turned out to be a chinese by-product so theres no telling how good it really even is.
i personally never used mine,shelved it,im interested to see how the op makes out with it.
at any rate,why not dial it back a hair and help the guy.

to the Op,
im surprised because i have the same dis and i wondered if it actually fit in any mopars with that big cap.

also,the hei system was Always regarded as way better than the others.
it still holds its own with the aftermarket stuff.
Does it get lonely? Up there on your pedistal

First day here and you're pissing on the guy trying to help you and not the guy insulting your reading ability.. ... read the posts in order and maybe it'll make sense to you!

Auto Transport Service
Back