• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hei ready to run distributor

sonny martin

Local time
12:33 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone installed a Hei ready to run distributor in a 1965 coronet 440 6 pack. looking to eliminate ballast resistor. and ecu harness. not sure how to wire up to (NEW)engine wiring harness at ballast resistor and eliminate resistor and ecu harness

Are you talking about a complete HEI dist, with coil in cap? If so, I think you will need a long body version so that the cap clears the valve cover. If using a separate coil with stock type dist, the coil must be one that does not require a bal res. Use E core coils for max efficiency. Two such coils are the MSD 8207 & Summit SUM-850500.

Has anyone installed a Hei ready to run distributor in a 1965 coronet 440 6 pack. looking to eliminate ballast resistor. and ecu harness. not sure how to wire up to (NEW)engine wiring harness at ballast resistor and eliminate resistor and ecu harness
Thanks I'm looking at msd ready to run #8387 that uses a external coil like a blaster 2.Not sure if it will clear aluminum heads and valve covers. I think i can put a 10 gauge wire in Ballester so it stays at 12 volts and keep wiring harness looking stock and do away with ecu harness. I can buy a pigtail for new distributor and hook new distributor to coil and ignition key, THOUGHTS?

No bal res reqd when used with the Blaster 2 coil. Both require FULL 12v. You will probably require a relay, shown in the addendum for that model.

Auto Transport Service
Back