• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello From Iowa

MoparHusker

Local time
7:08 AM
Reaction score
Greetings!

I have been lurking for a while and finally decided to join in on the fun.

I have a 1973 Dodge Charger SE that I have owned since 1985. It came stock with a 400, but sometime before I bought the car, someone swapped in a 440. I finally found the stamp pad and saw that it is a 69 440. I have not looked at any of the other information at this point.

the car has not run since 1996 and I decided it was time to get it running. I have been collecting parts for the last couple of months, some needed and some upgrades. I I’ll be swapping in an 8 3/4, 489 case, 3.23 suregrip out of a 71 Charger, so just assuming the suregrip is the Borg Warner flavor. Not sure yet if I need to shorten the driveshaft or not, but hoping I won’t have to. I am swapping in a close to factory stall converter for the 2800 stall I put in 28 years ago that I really was very unhappy with. I am completely redoing the fuel system; new tank, new sending unit with 3/8 feed and 1/4 return, new fuel lines, new Carter 6903 fuel pump, Napa 3041 fuel filter and replacing the Carter 500 cfm carb with a Holley 770 cfm Street Avenger. Replacing the 14 inch wheels with 15 x 7 in front and 15 x 8 in the back. New plugs and wires and I will probably need a new radiator and other cooling system work.

Should be a fun project.

Great project. The boys will be howling for pictures, so get them ready. Hey, welcome to the clan!

the clan.jpg

Welcome from a cornhusker who once lived in Iowa. I like hearing from the locals.:thumbsup:
Should be a fun project and it's great to hear it's getting worked on! 8 3/4s swap in any 8 3/4 housing...and should have the same driveshaft length no matter the year. They did have different ujoint sizes and fine or course spline pinions. Post some Pictures of the 73.

Welcome from Waterloo.

hello and hope to see pics soon. :thumbsup:

Greetings!

I have a 1973 Dodge Charger SE that I have owned since 1985. It came stock with a 400, but sometime before I bought the car, someone swapped in a 440. I finally found the stamp pad and saw that it is a 69 440. I have not looked at any of the other information at this point.

the car has not run since 1996 and I decided it was time to get it running. I have been collecting parts for the last couple of months, some needed and some upgrades. I I’ll be swapping in an 8 3/4, 489 case, 3.23 suregrip out of a 71 Charger, so just assuming the suregrip is the Borg Warner flavor. Not sure yet if I need to shorten the driveshaft or not, but hoping I won’t have to. I am swapping in a close to factory stall converter for the 2800 stall I put in 28 years ago that I really was very unhappy with. I am completely redoing the fuel system; new tank, new sending unit with 3/8 feed and 1/4 return, new fuel lines, new Carter 6903 fuel pump, Napa 3041 fuel filter and replacing the Carter 500 cfm carb with a Holley 770 cfm Street Avenger. Replacing the 14 inch wheels with 15 x 7 in front and 15 x 8 in the back. New plugs and wires and I will probably need a new radiator and other cooling system work.

Should be a fun project.
Hey Husker, if you need any transmission work or goodies contact Lon at Sta-Rite across from the fairgrounds. He's a Mopar guy and has a cool 67 Barracuda convert he built a couple years ago. Good guy and he really knows his transmissions and differentials.

Welcome from Missouri!!!

3C8AC4AB-0AC1-4FC0-AC9B-19E6B3D29257.png
Good to have you aboard & involved
What color is your car?l always thought the bulge hood made those cars look
stout.Just the ryt tire folks will luv it
This is Tim @ 52537 Im the Mopar qb
from se Iowa l try to know other Mopar
enthusiast what they are looking for & what parts & cars they myt sell
This upcoming event along with August
Mopar Max race are our attempt at outreach

Welcome from a cornhusker who once lived in Iowa. I like hearing from the locals.:thumbsup:
Should be a fun project and it's great to hear it's getting worked on! 8 3/4s swap in any 8 3/4 housing...and should have the same driveshaft length no matter the year. They did have different ujoint sizes and fine or course spline pinions. Post some Pictures of the 73.

It is a an 8 1/4 being replaced by an 8 3/4. The driveshaft has the 7260 ujoint and the rear has the 7290, so if the driveshaft has to be shortened, I will replace all with the 7290. If not, I will go with the 7260, 7290 combo.

Greetings!

Should be a fun project.
I forgot to post a picture of the car. Sorry it looks like a mess, but it is a good shelf to store the parts on until I am ready to work on it. It is in definite need of body work, but that is phase 2 or 3. Phase 1 is to get it running and put back on the road.

My1973Charger.jpg

Welcome from Alabama, nice project.

It is a an 8 1/4 being replaced by an 8 3/4. The driveshaft has the 7260 ujoint and the rear has the 7290, so if the driveshaft has to be shortened, I will replace all with the 7290. If not, I will go with the 7260, 7290 combo.
I forgot to post a picture of the car. Sorry it looks like a mess, but it is a good shelf to store the parts on until I am ready to work on it. It is in definite need of body work, but that is phase 2 or 3. Phase 1 is to get it running and put back on the road.

View attachment 1136427
That’s a great start if i had a front bumper ld be buffing on that car red
Comes back quickly

359B2794-B826-4CA0-B698-44060037542A.png 09697539-06D4-489E-82A7-B3B71FA2A0D0.png D1980281-5E29-4570-8651-33DE897B2FDE.png

Welcome from Michigan:drinks:. Thats gonna be a nice looking car when you're done!:thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back