• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello from Wisconsin with a 1969 Roadrunner

rdbird9

Local time
12:48 AM
Reaction score
About two weeks ago I found out that my uncle has terminal cancer and wanted to pass his '69 Roadrunner down to my younger brother and I if we were interested. Though we were never real close with my uncle, he knew we were both into old cars, were capable of taking care of the Roadrunner, and would appreciate it. Of course we would be honored to have the car so I arranged to get it shipped out to Wisconsin. It arrived this past Monday. Wow what a mix of emotions seeing that car being unloaded at our house. I hadn't seen the Roadrunner in 10 years. I can't imagine how it must have felt for him to see the car leave. The Roadrunner still looks as good as it did when I last saw it a decade ago. It's kind of surreal to see the car in our garage, because to me it still belongs in Michigan where my uncle lives. Even though we didn't know my uncle that well, he obviously thought enough of my brother and I to give us his most prized possession, and for that I am grateful.

Anyway here is what I know about the car. It was originally green with a tan interior, a 383, and column-shift automatic. When my uncle bought it in July/August 2000, it was red with an early 60's 413, headers, a floor shifter, some '90s era bucket seats out of something, and a very 70's looking raked stance with Cragars and white letter tires. I guess it was kind of a polished turd because he soon started taking it apart to fix it after finding the rear axle was on the verge of falling out of the car due to frame rust. The first time I saw the Roadrunner in person was during this partially taken apart stage. It had the rear frame rails replaced from the axle kick-up back, new trunk floor, both rear quarters, new floorpans, and some frame sections replaced near where the front torsion bars mount. There are also subframe connectors welded in to stiffen the body. It was then painted 2001 Dodge Competition Yellow.

In early 2007 he replaced the 413 with a rebuilt 440 that has a fairly hot cam, MSD ignition, a Holley carburetor, and a TCI Streetfighter 727 trans. Around that time he installed the long-missing Air Grabber assembly and redid the interior as well. This was about when my uncle took me for my only ride in the car. Sometime between then and now he did a 4-wheel disc brake conversion on it. I last saw the Roadrunner in November of 2009 when it was under a car cover in his garage for winter storage.

One thing I know is that this car sure is quick. Floor it, and it just hooks up and goes, with little to no wheelspin. It's got big front and rear swaybars in addition to the subframe connectors so it corners really flat and feels planted. All the old cars I've owned before this have been essentially stock, so I was not expecting this kind of handling and was pretty surprised at how good it drives. I've been messaging my uncle back and forth about the car for the past few days now that he is in less pain. He is thrilled that my brother and I are enjoying the car so much and is glad that it went to us.

Though there are some things I would have done differently with the car had I built it, my brother and I agreed that outside of normal maintenance and finishing sorting out the disc brake conversion, which even my uncle admits should work better, we will never change anything about the car.

Somehow in my 20 years of driving and working on old cars, I have never dealt with a Mopar product so my knowledge of them is limited. But I can't claim any brand loyalty having owned many vehicles from Oldsmobiles to a Mercury and Volkswagens (air and water cooled) to a Datsun station wagon, so I am excited to learn.

The Roadrunner.
50149231318_538921a0b2_c.jpg

The 440. The paperwork for it shows a .060 overbore and .010 main and rod bearings. It has a Comp Cams cam that I can't recall the specs on at the moment, but you can really feel it start to pull at a bit under 3000 rpms and it lopes a bit at idle. I know nothing about the carburetor other than its a manual choke Holley.
50149774236_6547183bac_c.jpg

The interior. I think the buckets are the ones that were in the car when my uncle bought it, but were recovered with white vinyl. My uncle and late grandfather made the console. The front windows have been converted to power but the rear are still crank. The Hurst shifter is kind of funky to operate but I'm getting used to it.

50149775776_20275f7c0b_c.jpg

Welcome from Mid-Michigan. Sorry to hear about your uncle. Looks like a great road runner, cool colors.

Welcome prayers for your uncle. Nice looking Roadrunner

Welcome aboard Sir, from the middle of the mitten. As above, sorry to hear about your uncle. Very fine car.

Welcome from Alabama, it looks like you're uncle put his heart and soul into that car. He certainly entrusted you with a great gift.

Welcome aboard from a fellow Wisconsinite. I think the Road Runner looks good and is tastefully done. Your Uncle is a generous man. Sorry to hear of his current state of health. I hope he fights the good fight until the end.

Where in Wisconsin are you? The MOPAR brethren are many here, so help is only a short distance away.

D

Welcome from Michigan. Sorry to hear about your uncle. I'm sure it was tuff for him to see the RR leave his home but I'm sure he is glad as to where it's new home is. Car looks very sharp.:thumbsup:

Welcome from another Wisconsin Mopar addict. Sorry about your uncle. He is a very generous man who found the perfect place for his pride and joy to go.

Welcome to the inner circle of Mopar knowledge. If you can't find out about your Mopar here, the answer simply doesn't exist!
A great grouping of people as well!

untitled.png
As much as news of anyone getting a terminal diagnosis is sad (and boy, can I relate
to the "cancer" part!), it's also a great thing that your uncle chose well in seeing to
the stewardship of the car - of what he built.
That's a subject many of us either will or have been faced with on our own cars -
what will happen to them when we're gone?

Ideally, one would like to see to it that someone who knows you/is a loved one would
see to becoming the next steward of what one has created so that maybe they will be remembered and all the work, grief, cost, etc. will not have been forgotten.

It's really great your uncle has chosen you guys to care for his baby. It's an honor, really.
We'll help here in that effort. Ask those questions, do that research and welcome!:thumbsup:

Touching story. My best to you and your uncle.

Welcome aboard from Ohio,prayers to your uncle.

sorry to hear about the Uncle

cool RR

welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

Welcome - good to have another Wisconsinite! That's quite a story and quite a car.

Welcome! Sorry to hear about your uncle. Prayers to him. Nice car, 69 RR with 68 fenders?

Thank you everyone for the compliments and kind thoughts for my uncle. It's been an emotional week since the car got here. Fortunately I have been on vacation all week, scheduled months ago not knowing all this was about to happen. I did replace the tires on it today as the ones on the car were from '07. They still looked alright but I work at a tire shop and have seen what can happen when old tires decide they're done. While I had it on the lift I poked around underneath the car a bit and it looks pretty darn nice. There was a new rear main seal and oil pan gasket in the trunk when the car arrived and it does have some leakage in those areas. At least it appears that after disconnecting the steering center link, the oil pan should be able to come out without lifting the engine. I already burned through a tank of gas in the last couple of days enjoying the car.

Welcome aboard from a fellow Wisconsinite. I think the Road Runner looks good and is tastefully done. Your Uncle is a generous man. Sorry to hear of his current state of health. I hope he fights the good fight until the end.

Where in Wisconsin are you? The MOPAR brethren are many here, so help is only a short distance away.

D
I'm in Eagle about 25 miles west of Milwaukee.

Auto Transport Service
Back