• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello Guys , I have a 68 Plymouth sport Satellite , with a 440

timbos63

Local time
8:08 AM
Reaction score
I need some good suggestions guys . I have a three speed automatic transmission with 440 engine and 3.91 gears ,which I strewed my motor up the other day turning about 5k, 6k rpm on the interstate . Sounds like the bearing are strewed . I want to go 75mph+ and my maybe a little street racing from street light to street light what rear end you guys suggest?

I have the 440 stroked with 3:91 gears. I would suggest the 3:55s for better cruising. Good in between gear ratio.

Welcome. I too hate Strewed bearings. 3:54 Dana here. TKO 5 though. Perfect highway.

Yep, 3.55's is about your max. rear end gear for highway cruising & no overdrive. 3.23's will work too.

welcome to FBBO from NorCal

I like the 3.73:1 & a 28"+ tall x 12"+ wide tire
28" tall x 65mph is 2,909 rpm @ a 1:1 ratio

great gear compromise for me, better start off line acceleration
& decent RPM while cruising 65mph...
I live in the Sierras, not flat land thou

it sucks when you "repeatedly" strew bearings & the motor up :poke:
good luck

You should bake them, they're not as tough that way.

Welcome aboard.

i run the same set up 440 auto 3.91 rear drove 70 miles each way to drag strip raced drove home no problem great light to light gear on the street 70 mph 3000 rpm are you sure you have 3.91 gears

i use 3.23's in both of my cars and at times think they are too low (numerically too high) for good highway cruising.

I need some good suggestions guys . I have a three speed automatic transmission with 440 engine and 3.91 gears ,which I strewed my motor up the other day turning about 5k, 6k rpm on the interstate . Sounds like the bearing are strewed . I want to go 75mph+ and my maybe a little street racing from street light to street light what rear end you guys suggest?

Hi and welcome aboard!
Thanks for joining the forum.
As far as your engine issues, I'm quite shocked that anyone would take a older 440 up to 6,000RPM.
Perhaps you can address this in the "General Mopar Tech" section:https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/forums/general-mopar-tech-discussions.32/
This is definitely a GREAT TIME to go for a performance/reliability build up!
PS: That guy right above "my post" lewot184, listen to everything he says!
Also: Listen to what Budnicks says...(Post #6)
These guys and others on this forum "Know their stuff"

i use 3.23's in both of my cars and at times think they are too low (numerically too high) for good highway cruising.

Wow, I think my 3.23s are perfect. Rolling on 255/60R15s I can cruise 74mph at 3k and have a nice conversation in the car.

Auto Transport Service
Back