• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello Mopar fans just introducing myself

JNBowen

Local time
8:27 AM
Reaction score
My Name is Jeff, I am in the Marine Corps stationed in Yuma AZ. I am currently working on my 1968 Dodge Charger and I will run down what has been done so far. I purchased the car form a gentleman in Escondido Ca. I had just completed a 7 month deployment and when I came home told my wife I wanted to buy either a new Harley or a 1968 Charger. As luck would have it i found one 3 miles from where I lived. It was red with a black top and had magnum 14 inch rims and a big block 383 HP. Did I mention the engine was knocking. So I made the deal and drove it home. Long story short the crank had spun a bearing and chewed itself up. I also purchased a 440 from the same guy out of an RV. Next I replaced the radiator with a shiny new aluminum one from Champion added an electric fan, serpentine belt and new pulleys from March ( if I remember correctly). Then added some headers. repaced the ball joints and tie rods to freshen up the front end. Nothing seemed to work to get the front end aligned properly. So I purchased a whole new front suspension kit from RMS Altkation. Mean while i had the 383 rebuild with a 496 stroker kit from 440 source. I added aluminum head roller rockers aluminum intake water pump and MSD ready to run distributor. the car is in my garage right now with the new K member and rack and pinion steering system all hooked up. I am waiting for my kids visit to end so I can get back to work on it. I am putting the 496 stroker in when I am done with the suspension but I am considering re-wiring the car while I have the engine out. I look forward to reading some threads to help with the wiring issue I am sure to have.

Welcome to MIT for Mopars ! Sounds like you're well into a good project car. Love that 68/69 charger body styLe. Everyone is going to want to see pics of the car so prepare yourself and some to put one here. Good luck and glad to have you on board.

Yuma eh?
LOL
I'm sorry!
(Spent some time there once or twice)
Any, welcome aboard and thanks for joining the Forum!
Thanks for your Great Service to our magnificent United States of America!

Welcome aboard. Sure sounds like you have a really nice start on a great project. Wiring with the motor out would be easier. Good luck.

welcome to FBBO that charger sounds like a great project and thanks for your service

Welcome from PA! Thank you for your service to our country!

The first thing I did when I bought my 1970 Road Runner was replace the wiring. ALL of it. I am an electrical engineer, so I should be able to handle some old wiring, right? Well, most of these old cars have had their wiring hacked into by modifications over the years. Worse, the wires are brittle and are likely to crack and fail. Worst case, it causes a fire and you lose you car.

So suffice to say that I am a big advocate to re-wire these old cars. Yes, it costs a few bucks, but I think it is cheap insurance compared to the overall money we spend on the cars, and if nothing else it can alleviate one heck of a lot of headaches.

Glad to have you with us - good luck on your project!

Thanks the comments I would very much enjoy your thoughts on which direction i should go with the wiring. I am not an electrical engineer by any stretch. I want to clean up the firewall and get rid of everything i dont need. I hear i can get rid of the ballast resistor if i go with the MSD ready to run distributor but that is hook to a voltage regulator??? I am considering Painless harness and the one from year one but with all the upgrades i am hesitant to go factory style and then start cutting and splicing for all the upgrades?? electric fan electronic ignition so on. funny thing is my wife is avionics for hueys and cobras but she is no help when it comes to understanding cars.....or houses or anything that is not a huey or a cobra helicopter.

Hi Jeff welcome , :plane::usa2: been to MCAS YUMA for the annual air show a few years back . HAD A GREAT TIME DID SOME PHOTO WORK THAT WEEK END GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR RIDE AND THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE AV8-B HARRIER.JPGyuma harrier3.jpgyuma harrier4.jpg

I used to be a mechanic on those old Harriers nice photos.

- - - Updated - - -

10934495_10200177679521274_2021473882_n.jpg11047119_10200164158023245_474728419_n.jpg11127233_10200340292426495_1170348947_n.jpg11198636_10200330234175045_358852737_n.jpg11208985_10200340291066461_1483164115_n.jpg11210122_10200330233735034_1358793668_n.jpg11212223_10200330234095043_390872286_n.jpg11212385_10200341811264465_199479497_n.jpg11245389_10200368432009967_1835236269_n.jpg

Welcome to FBBO

thanks for your service

good luck with the cool 68 Charger project

Thanks the comments I would very much enjoy your thoughts on which direction i should go with the wiring. I am not an electrical engineer by any stretch. I want to clean up the firewall and get rid of everything i dont need. I hear i can get rid of the ballast resistor if i go with the MSD ready to run distributor but that is hook to a voltage regulator??? I am considering Painless harness and the one from year one but with all the upgrades i am hesitant to go factory style and then start cutting and splicing for all the upgrades?? electric fan electronic ignition so on. funny thing is my wife is avionics for hueys and cobras but she is no help when it comes to understanding cars.....or houses or anything that is not a huey or a cobra helicopter.

I modified my car as well. I started with the harnesses from Year One; from all I have heard, they are the best. I can certainly say mine fit and worked perfectly. I have added fuel injection, computer controlled timing, MSD box and air conditioning, so I modified mine, but I am glad I started with a known, good base to start with. If you want to check out my thread for some ideas, go here:
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?65096-Hawk-Rod-The-Restoration

Auto Transport Service
Back