• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help! 1965 Coronet 500 console rebuild

Redsawacs

Local time
5:39 PM
Reaction score
I am rebuilding a 65 Coronet 500 convertible that has bee. Sitting in California since 1974.

When I bought it, much of the car was already stripped down. I am almost done putting it back together but I am stuck on the center console.

Much of the parts are in bags, rusted and dirty. Some may be missing, I just don't know.

I seek assistance with rebuilding it. Does anyone have pictures or a tutorial how everything goes back together?

How does the carpet go on? What do the bolts look like that mount it to the brackets? What hardware holds the cap in place or the hinge? Do the lights go on over the carpet? Does the top plate go over the carpet panels or under it?

Ya know, just the basics.

Please help!!!
Dan in OKC

My 65 auto console mounts with horizontal phillips machine screws and appx 2" fender washers on sides of the front and middle brackets on trans tunnel. Console drops in from top with washers on outside to secure. Two vertical screws inside rear of glove box screw down to flat nuts clipped into the slots in the rear bracket. Chrome frame goes over carpet. Front courtesy lights mount over carpet too. Carpet is two-piece and meets at a glued seam at the front top of console. I can post photos of the console, hinge, shifter mount and hardware after I get over there this wknd.

Auto Transport Service
Back