• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help - 1968 Rear Defogger wiring

sixpakrob

Local time
7:19 AM
Reaction score
I have replaced the wiring under the non-air dash ralley in 68 Super Bee. Not sure which wires go where, It has a three-speed wiper motor, power washer fluid, and three speed rear defogger. I have three wires not sure where to go with what... The grey one is maybe for rhe tack? If i read it right there needs to be a jumper wire from three speed to the washer pump? Thanks

IMG_4613.JPG IMG_4614.JPG IMG_4615.JPG

Pull that brown wire off the washer button, it has the relief that is needed to fit the remaining spot on the 3 speed wiper. Put an ohm meter on that brown with the connector relief and then each of the other two brown wire ends and find which is your jumper. Suspect your jumper is just folded and stuffed into the harness. The remaining brown wire will be your output off the washer button to the pump. Doesn't really matter other than that relieved connector makes sure you get the correct wires. The other two dark browns will end up on the washer button either way, just check to make sure one really is the jumper.
3speedwiperswitch.jpg

Last edited:
it couldn't be 3 speeds deffoger but 2.

deffogger uses to be a separated harness, not part of the main harness. It get an accesory wire source which should run to fuse block or some other provision on underdash harness ( 71/74s are like that ) then the pigtail to the kick panel area. The plug to switch should be a 3 ways plug with the green wire from accesories, white and black wires for each speed.

if your already had the deffog switch working, check your old harness and get them from there to reuse it

gray wire should be for clock feed when optioned. If no clock, will just hang around

tach is also a separated harness

it couldn't be 3 speeds defogger but 2.

defogger uses to be a separated harness, not part of the main harness. It get an accessory wire source which should run to fuse block or some other provision on under dash harness ( 71/74s are like that ) then the pigtail to the kick panel area. The plug to switch should be a 3 ways plug with the green wire from accessories, white and black wires for each speed.

if your already had the deffog switch working, check your old harness and get them from there to reuse it

gray wire should be for clock feed when optioned. If no clock, will just hang around

tach is also a separated harness

Okay, great on the gray wire, now will look at the harness, you right it could be two speed... it was working with the previous harness so I will examine more... frustrating... the car came out with am rear speaker control but when bought it had an 8-track with rear speaker and loads of extra wiring harnesses.

But now really is gettting three speed wiper set and washer button working then maybe like you said the defogger may have a different harness

It feels good to get it done! Thank you, guys. The car came with AM with rear speaker control originally but when I bought it it had a am 8 track, rear speaker control (actually for six speakers I think, but it is a 1968 radio) with the wiring but nothing was working so one guy had all the right stuff, wiring, and radio. Cool! I now have an 8 track with rear speaker control, wires face cover etc...

Auto Transport Service
Back