• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help! 68 B Body. I can move my steering wheel in and out 1/2"

68RT_MarkR

Local time
2:28 AM
Reaction score
Help! I have a 68 B Body with power steering. I can move my steering wheel in and out 1/2". I can see the steering shaft come out of the coupler 3/8 to 1/2''. The roll pin is in place at the bottom of the coupler. What is wrong? Thanks

The 1967 and later cars had a shaft within a shaft. This allowed the column to collapse in a collision without being a shish ka bob to the driver. Sometimes, the plastic tabs that keep the two sliding shafts in place break. This can result in fore-aft movement.

The upper bearing retainer c clip or retainer is missing only thing that would allow movement at the steering wheel. If the plastic retaining pins were missing or broken there still wouldn’t be movement in and out at the steering wheel

Pull the wheel and look. As said upper bearing has a c-clip on the bottom and a snap ring on the top.

Pull the wheel and look. As said upper bearing has a c-clip on the bottom and a snap ring on the top.

Correct and also a retainer that holds the bearing in the upper housing.

beerestoration2018 1549.JPG
beerestoration2018 1550.JPG
beerestoration2018 1597.JPG
beerestoration2018 1598.JPG

Here I thought pictures from the service manual with arrows would be helpful.. DadsBee you rock...

Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 7.22.47 PM.png

Movement in the coupler is normal - "manufacturing tolerance" to allow for different body styles, shaft lengths, etc.. Once you solve the upper bearing issue you won't have movement in the coupler

Auto Transport Service
Back