• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help! 69' Roadrunner Dash Harness....orphan wires!!

Propwash

Local time
2:18 PM
Reaction score
Hey Gent's...Need some help again.

I'm in the process of butting the dash harness in my RR dash and have hit a stand still

Everything was going pretty smooth until I ran into a couple snags...:black_eye:

First off, right near the 3-speed wiper switch and wash button I have three brown wires. One wire seems a bit lighter in shade than the others. Another has a slot in the front of the connector. There is a fourth loose brown wire with a grey stripe that I already figured out it goes to the very bottom slot on the wiper switch. I know two of brown free wires go to the wash switch but which way? The factory wiring diagram just labels brown on all these wires and the reference pics I took before I ripped it all apart earlier this year are a bit too dark to show what's what. Does the third brown go to the last open slot on the wiper switch? Anybody have any idea how these go?

r2-6.jpg

Another question is the wire/plug for the ignition switch light. What does it plug into? I couldn' t find a plug on the old harness where it would plug in, but that thing was so sawed up god knows when and if it might have been hacked off....

r3-6.jpg

One more question on the wiring. On the left side of the dash, I have a two prong plug with a yellow and a yellow w/black strip coming into it. Looks like it jumps off the dimmer switch wiring. The old harness had this plug, but it was secured tight against the harness with the cloth tape. Kinda like it was never used originally with my car, but that's not the case with this new harness. Looking at the wiring diagram, I'm kinda thinking its for a "lights left on buzzer". Can anyone confirm this?

r4-4.jpg

I appreciate any help I can get fella's

I have an FSM, I'll check it when I get a chance today.
There is a possibility that the ignition light was part of a courtesy light set up and may not be used on the Roadrunner. (One of Ma Mopar's weird light group options). I've been through the wiper thing before, but it's been a few years and I haven't had my coffee yet.
Answers on the horizon.....

Ok, my fun time lol....the 3 brown wires....first the one with the cut out on the side plugs into the 3 speed wiper switch on the right side.....Next the other 2 brown wires are for the washer button, one comes from power and the other to the washer bottle pump. Hard to screw it up if you land them wrong :) it's just a switch so it don't matter.

The ignition lamp with delay would plug into a socket on the harness, basically power comes from the fuse box to that plug then goes to the timer relay and then back out to the lamp. if you are missing the socket on the harness and you want it to work just tap it into the orange lamp common in the harness. it will come on and off with you dash lights.

The yellows I will have double check but I think they were for convertible models.

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1969/69BelvedereGTXSatelliteRoadRunnerA.JPG

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1969/69BelvedereGTXSatelliteRoadRunnerB.JPG

The yellow

Vey much obliged gent's! Solves all my wiring questions...

And again....... the great folks of this site pull through to help my project along.

Thanks again for your time and knowledge!

Ok, my fun time lol....the 3 brown wires....first the one with the cut out on the side plugs into the 3 speed wiper switch on the right side.....Next the other 2 brown wires are for the washer button, one comes from power and the other to the washer bottle pump. Hard to screw it up if you land them wrong :) it's just a switch so it don't matter.

The ignition lamp with delay would plug into a socket on the harness, basically power comes from the fuse box to that plug then goes to the timer relay and then back out to the lamp. if you are missing the socket on the harness and you want it to work just tap it into the orange lamp common in the harness. it will come on and off with you dash lights.

The yellows I will have double check but I think they were for convertible models.

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1969/69BelvedereGTXSatelliteRoadRunnerA.JPG

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1969/69BelvedereGTXSatelliteRoadRunnerB.JPG

The yellow

Would a 69 Coronet with 3 speed wipers be the same as this?

Yes! you have the the button for windshield washer? I guess in some older cars the button was non electric and you pumped it?

Need help 69 roadrunner no dash lights,worked fine replaced burned out bulbs put back in and nothing fuse good.The wireing looks like a mess wondering if it is easer to just start new.Added aftermarket tac from Vans salvage yard in Waupun WI.You can get anything you need great place and good prices.But would i get the rally dash wireing.And im not good at wireing at all.Its always fun trying to fix a cobled mess because they did not know what they were doing either.Im new to this site ut i like what i have read so far.Alot of good mopar people on this site.Ant help would be greatly appreciated HELP

I'd like to see what others share but, I had the same problem in my Duster and road runner. I determined the bulbs are directional. I pulled the bulbs and sockets out of the instrumnet cluster. Then pulled the bulbs out of their sockets and rotated the bulbs 180 degrees, plugged them back into the socuket then back into the instrument cluster and bingo! Good luck.

thanks going to try it in the morning let you know

:angryfire:
I'd like to see what others share but, I had the same problem in my Duster and road runner. I determined the bulbs are directional. I pulled the bulbs and sockets out of the instrumnet cluster. Then pulled the bulbs out of their sockets and rotated the bulbs 180 degrees, plugged them back into the socuket then back into the instrument cluster and bingo! Good luck.

That's when using Led bulbs, the original style bulbs will work either way.

- - - Updated - - -

First of all make sure the panel dimmer thumbwheel is turned up, (right before the dome light goes on). Sounds like the pin (on the circuit board) that powers the illumination lights...either came loose from the circuit board or that trace cracked at the pin when the plug was pulled off. I always solder the pins to the circuit board on all the clusters I do. You could turn on the lights and reach under the dash and lightly push up, down or sideways (on the main plug going into the circuit board)...to see if the lights go on, if they do...it's just a bad connection, and may have to come back out to solder/repair the circuit board.
Need help 69 roadrunner no dash lights,worked fine replaced burned out bulbs put back in and nothing fuse good.The wireing looks like a mess wondering if it is easer to just start new.Added aftermarket tac from Vans salvage yard in Waupun WI.You can get anything you need great place and good prices.But would i get the rally dash wireing.And im not good at wireing at all.Its always fun trying to fix a cobled mess because they did not know what they were doing either.Im new to this site ut i like what i have read so far.Alot of good mopar people on this site.Ant help would be greatly appreciated HELP

Auto Transport Service
Back