• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help 8.75 rear rebuild

boneheadsGeTeX

Local time
11:42 PM
Reaction score
I have a 70 gtx ,not the Original rear end,, the 8.75 rear end 489 case that’s in it came out of a Stationwagon ,,,, I’m going to buy sure grip ,and 3.23 ring and pin gear and barrons .....Need help on what parts to buy and where ? What about spines and are they all same for any 84/4 ? Also the yoke ,the one that I have now is smaller U joint than my drive shaft ?

I got my sure grip from dr diff along with all my bearings. Really good stuff. He’s pretty much a one stop shop. All 8 3/4 axle splines are the same. You’ll need a 7290 yoke.

Last edited:
If your gear pattern is good in rear now, measure pinion depth before removing it. Gives you a starting point. If you have an extra rear pinion bearing have it honed so it just slips on. You can change shim easy.

If your gear pattern is good in rear now, measure pinion depth before removing it. Gives you a starting point. If you have an extra rear pinion bearing have it honed so it just slips on. You can change shim easy.
That’s a great idea about honing the bearing! I’ve ruined a few removing them to change shims.

Auto Transport Service
Back