• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help! Caravan won't start?

CompSyn

Local time
9:38 PM
Reaction score
Make/Model: 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3L V6. 155k miles.

Issue: Van won't crank over. Tried to jump start it but has no effect. All I can hear is the accessory relay clicking when we try to start it. It's the relay next to the Starter relay. So I swap relays and still nothing. No sound from the starter, nothing. Last month, I installed a new battery and cleaned the battery connections. So I know what it sounds like when the battery is dead and it won't crank. This is different. So, I'm not sure what it could be? The starter was replaced with a NAPA reman about five years ago or so.

Earlier in the day we drove it two times. It started and ran fine with no issues.

Not sure what to check next, any thoughts?

Starter is bad, tap on it and see if it swill work.

Have a test light? Check for voltage on the main battery cable at the starter then check the starter solenoid wire for power when someone is turning the key to crank. If both are good put a starter in it.......although not 100%, I have had on one vehicle where the battery terminals were bad and I had voltage at the starter but no current. Threw me for a loop for a little bit!

Make/Model: 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3L V6. 155k miles.

Issue: Van won't crank over. Tried to jump start it but has no effect. All I can hear is the accessory relay clicking when we try to start it. It's the relay next to the Starter relay. So I swap relays and still nothing. No sound from the starter, nothing. Last month, I installed a new battery and cleaned the battery connections. So I know what it sounds like when the battery is dead and it won't crank. This is different. So, I'm not sure what it could be? The starter was replaced with a NAPA reman about five years ago or so.

Earlier in the day we drove it two times. It started and ran fine with no issues.

Not sure what to check next, any thoughts?
This is a vague statement, bear with me as I have a 94 Caravan w/a 3.3L. What happens you turn the key to the on position only? Do you hear the buzz of the fuel pump for a few second or no? What relays do you hear clicking?
Even with a new batt and you go to the start position, it won't crank or does it just turn the engine over?
My issues was it ran fine then just wouldn't fire up but just crank the motor. It wound by being the main CPU that took a dump. Good Luck

Take a heavy jumper wire and try jumping right at the starter from the battery cable to the wire from the starter relay.
That will tell you what's going on.
The key can be in the off position make sure the van is in PARK!
If that works.
Next try the old move the shifter to Neutral/Park and try the key.

I'll give you an old, tried-and-true method I learned long, long time ago. Rapidly turn the ignition key on-and-off sorta like machine-gun fire. Funny, I just did that to a guy's car at a car show last summer when his car wouldn't start. In 5 seconds, it worked. He wound up replacing the starter.

Update: after sitting overnight I went with tools in hand but first tried starting it. It started up just fine. I drove it home. When I got home I turned off the van and restarted it three times with no issues. Now I can't be having an intermittent no-start issue with the primary family vehicle so what should I be looking at next?

Clean and check for any loose connections.
The most likely bet is the starter is defunct.
For the cost I'd probably just stick a new on in there.
Any warranty on the NAPA one?

Clean and check for any loose connections.
The most likely bet is the starter is defunct.
For the cost I'd probably just stick a new on in there.
Any warranty on the NAPA one?

The parts guy at NAPA begrudgingly said they will honor the "limited lifetime warranty" eventhough it has a 2013 manufacture date. He iterated the print, "Limited" and said I got my use out of it. Kind of funny, when on average the consumer trades-in their vehicles every 3-5 years, the parts houses don't actually expect people to use the implied warranty to the fullest extent. So, I'll put in the new re-man starter tomorrow in the hopes all is well.

Well, back to square one. Put in the new starter and the issue is not resolved. Same exact symptom. Starter won't crank. When I turn the ingnition switch to the start position I can hear a click from the relay panel but that's it. Also, I don't think I can hear the fuel pump go unto prime mode when I turn the ignition switch to the accessory position.

Now what?

Sounds like it's the ignition switch in the column.. I had a 96 ram 2500 that did exactly what you are experiencing a few times... Replaced the Ignition switch and all was good.

YouTube of course. It may be this? It's corrosion on the fues box main power terminal. We'll see if that's it?

You can take a look underneath the relay panel as well

YouTube of course. It may be this? It's corrosion on the fues box main power terminal. We'll see if that's it?

If that is the case, clean it real good and use a Dielectric grease to prevent it from happening again.

Those chrysler relay centers are known to be junk. Like everyone said, arter testing battery, cleaning terminals, test for power at starter solenoid. If not found, keep working twards ignition switch. Try starting in nuetral too. Security light on?

I have a 2003

Auto Transport Service
Back