• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP! How to adjust water pump belt tension with Power Steering?

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:29 PM
Reaction score
Help, I don't see a way to adjust the belt tension on the water pump/power steering belt? I just changed the water pump on the 318 and there is no way to take the slack off or adjust tension like there is on the alternator. Am I to just take the pulley off the water pump and fight the belt and bolts and get what I get for tension?

On my 340, you very slightly loosen the 2 bolts on the power steering bracket and there should be a square hole in the bracket itself where you can insert a half inch socket wrench into the bracket and pull tension on the power steering pump. I would think it's the same for a 318 but I could be wrong. Here is what mine looks like.

Resized_20171126_184311.jpeg

If there’s no hole you loosen mounting nuts/bolts a little and pry on bracket- but DONT pry on pump body/reservoir.

Loosen the mounting brackets for the PS Pump. You'll see it drop, there is a square drive for adjustments, or a BFB (big fu#*$n bar). It will be self explanatory when you loosen it.
Good luck

Awesome thanks so much guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I see the square hold for the socket. Not a lot of adjustment range but enough I think....

You put the square drive of your breaker bar in the square hole. Adjust and tighten to specs. I always used the diameter of the socket I used to tighten the bolts as the "rough" way to judge belt tension.

On a normal Gdyr/Dayco numbering chart a 44015 belt would be 44” circumference with 15/32” top width on belt. Sooo a 44515 wud be 44-5/8” circum. 44217= 44-2/8” by 17/33” width. Easy to figure longer/shorter from what you currently use.

Auto Transport Service
Back