• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP! I lost 1/6th of my glow

FROSTBITE

Local time
9:39 AM
Reaction score
Just finished installing a new speedo cable, now my fuel gauge doesnt light up. It reads but doesnt light up

If the single white wire with the red connector on the gauge cluster is plugged in, there is nothing else outside the cluster to go wrong. Both needle and gauge do not light?
My guess is the gauge is burned out or the fuel gauge wire is unhooked somehow inside the cluster. Hopefully Gibber will stop by with some advise.

Based soley on the fact that you just hocked up your speedo cable which i guessing is mechanical i would say you have bumped a wire join and it has died. Check all wires are attached and are in good condition. If this is the case attach a test globe to the fuel tank gauge wire and turn the lights on. If it works its your gauge if not start the unbelievably fun job of checking the wire for pinches and breaks Good luck

- - - Updated - - -

Also check all the earth points on the car, poor earths do all sorts of strange things

More than likely it's nothing you did. All the connections for the EL lighting are inside the cluster and protected by the bezel. Most likely the EL connection to the fuel gauge face itself is coming loose. Don't try to solder it! The only way to fix it correctly is to use 2 part conductive silver epoxy. If the EL needle still lights up, that is definitely the problem. If you have lost both the needle and face lighting, could be a bad ground between the gauge and the cluster housing. Rebuilding/repairing those EL clusters is the main stay of my gauge business. My contact info is on my website, www.thegaugedoc.com. Feel free to contact me if you have more questions....

Mark

Well the needle doesnt light up either, where would i look for the bad grounds?

More than likely it's nothing you did. All the connections for the EL lighting are inside the cluster and protected by the bezel. Most likely the EL connection to the fuel gauge face itself is coming loose. Don't try to solder it! The only way to fix it correctly is to use 2 part conductive silver epoxy. If the EL needle still lights up, that is definitely the problem. If you have lost both the needle and face lighting, could be a bad ground between the gauge and the cluster housing. Rebuilding/repairing those EL clusters is the main stay of my gauge business. My contact info is on my website, www.thegaugedoc.com. Feel free to contact me if you have more questions....

Mark

The gauge is grounded to the cluster housing by two small metal tabs on the underside of the gauge, in this case the fuel gauge. First thing to check and see if the speed nuts that hold the fuel gauge to the cluster housing are tight. If they are, the remedy involves taking the instrument cluster out, tasking off the bezel, taking the fuel gauge out of the housing and cleaning up both the underside of the fuel gauge and the housing itself with a wire wheel. There is probably some corrosion on those two tabs and it lost contact while you were getting the speedo cable installed. If the rest of the gauges still light up, it is an isolated problem with the fuel gauge ground.

Mark

the gauge is grounded to the cluster housing by two small metal tabs on the underside of the gauge, in this case the fuel gauge. First thing to check and see if the speed nuts that hold the fuel gauge to the cluster housing are tight. If they are, the remedy involves taking the instrument cluster out, tasking off the bezel, taking the fuel gauge out of the housing and cleaning up both the underside of the fuel gauge and the housing itself with a wire wheel. There is probably some corrosion on those two tabs and it lost contact while you were getting the speedo cable installed. If the rest of the gauges still light up, it is an isolated problem with the fuel gauge ground.

Mark

thanks!

Based soley on the fact that you just hocked up your speedo cable which i guessing is mechanical i would say you have bumped a wire join and it has died. Check all wires are attached and are in good condition. If this is the case attach a test globe to the fuel tank gauge wire and turn the lights on. If it works its your gauge if not start the unbelievably fun job of checking the wire for pinches and breaks Good luck

- - - Updated - - -

Also check all the earth points on the car, poor earths do all sorts of strange things

You do realize that the 66-67 Charger does not use light bulbs in the gauge cluster for dash lights, right?

Bryan

Auto Transport Service
Back