• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me choose the right torque converter

rrTor-Red

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:22 AM
Reaction score
Need a torque convert soon for my car. Have a 583 HP, 610 ft lbs of torque, 727 tranny. The engine builder said get a converter around 2,500-2,800 stall. Looked at Summit and WOW a lot to choose from. So, who, size (Summit has from 8-11 inch) and brand do you suggest? Do I need the spline count?

Thanks in advance

I would get in touch with 4secondsflat.com (FBO) and get a custom converter specifically for your car. They will need a ton of details on your car. The converters are from Dynamic

You will need all cam specs, engine mods, gearing, tire size etc to select the proper stall speed. Talk to a converter builder who will take all your info and create the ideal converter for your application, buying a pre built from a catalog or web site is not the best way to go here.

Send me an email [email protected] and I'll forward you the spec. sheet we used when specing out a custom converter for a customer. Just one thing, make sure all you put down is the right information, as any errors will effect the converters' performance.

transman

I think mine is a Hughes,
Bought from Bob Mazolinni Racing.
It's on my Hemi Superbee
Its "small" and I think a 2,800

You will need all cam specs, engine mods, gearing, tire size etc to select the proper stall speed. Talk to a converter builder who will take all your info and create the ideal converter for your application, buying a pre built from a catalog or web site is not the best way to go here.

Yep! All important info....2,500-2,800 sounds a bit low for that much power, but lots of unknowns. Generally speaking, you want your stall to be around 700-800RPM below your RPM Torque peak.

I use PTC converters. Really decent folks...good converters. Call em and they'll go over a spec sheet with you. Don Gould over at 4 Seconds flat (like Eagle mentioned) is a real good guy to deal with as well.

http://www.ptcrace.com/

A torque converter is the last place you want to do any bargain/price shopping, especially with the power you're making.

Thanks to all who responded. I have the "DNA" of my motor. FYI-Mike at MRL built the beast and if anything, I know Mike can fill in any answers I may have. He suggested a 2, 500-2, 800 stall because of the torque it produced. I will be making a few calls and getting a "feel" of who is most knowlegable. The only thing I'm not real sure of is the tire size I want to run. Other than that, I have everything else. I do know also that I want to do it right the first time. I don't want to have to keep working on the old girl after it gets under its own power. I want to DRIVE her. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back