• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me ID this 727 trans....

GrabberOrange69

Local time
4:07 PM
Reaction score
I think I know what this is, but I'm not 100%. Therefore, what do you think it is big or small block and what year?

131229_0006.jpg131229_0005.jpg131229_0004.jpg131229_0003.jpg

I'm thinking small block. Measure the top two bolt holes and if they are 6 1/2" apart center to center, it's for a big block.

Looks like a 65 727. First year for the slip yoke output. The BB trans are sort of hard to find as a lot of 62-64 guys like to run the 65 trans so they can use the push button/cable shifter and still have the slip yoke drive shaft.
Matt

Could be one of the 2 cable trans like the old a 100's. One cable for Park the other for PND21.

Look at the serial number on the side of the case above the pan. This can be looked up to find out what year it was made and used in.

I looked around but couldn't find a number. Which side?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm thinking small block. Measure the top two bolt holes and if they are 6 1/2" apart center to center, it's for a big block.

Just measured - the top 2 are 6 1/2" apart. Would indicate a BB.

numbers should be on the drivers side right above the trans pan on the machined rail. Right below where the one cable goes into the trans.
Matt

I originally suspected this is a '65 BB trans - still think it is after your guys help. I'll track the serial number down this weekend, but unless someone comes up with some other idea, I'm calling it a '65.

This trans is a big block from 62 to 65. And yes 1 cable for Park only and the other for all the gears. R,N,D,2 and 1. Does it have any casting #'s on it anywhere? The front pump should have some on it but I think you would have to remove the pump to get it.

I got these numbers off the transmission side directly under the shift box and right above the pan rail on the drivers side:

C2466148 1747418

I'll caveat the first "C246" is a best guess as the numbers were not stamped square to the surface so you only get the top 1/2 to 1/3 of them clear.

Anyone know if these numbers ID this trans?

The inner input shaft (small one) has 19 splines.

Last edited:
part number 2466148 is for 1965 B,C body 383-4bbl,413, 426 street wedge 727.
Matt

YES!!!! Thanks Matt! That's exactly what I was hoping it would be!

I just need to track down a good core converter or buy a rebuilt one out-right.

Great news!

Auto Transport Service
Back