• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me pick a clutch set up

Beekeeper

It’s a disease without a cure!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:03 AM
Reaction score
I would like a standard type no hassle street clutch setup for my 69 Bee 4 speed with a 496 hemi stroker and 3.91 ratio 8.75 axle. I know there are all kinds to pick from so just tell me what you guys run and what you like and dislike about them. I’m thinking on a Ram HDX 11”
Thanks

Contact Brewer Performance. They will get you what you need.

I ordered a Ram clutch from Summit this spring, and what I got was not at all what I ordered.
The parts had no identification, so if I guess I was lucky they were so far off that I could tell visually. If they had been just a little off how would you know?
I ordered a Center Force set and am impressed, but it's not in the car yet.
My power level is not close to yours either.
I just decided to stay away from Ram after that.

I ordered a Ram clutch from Summit this spring, and what I got was not at all what I ordered.
The parts had no identification, so if I guess I was lucky they were so far off that I could tell visually. If they had been just a little off how would you know?
I ordered a Center Force set and am impressed, but it's not in the car yet.
My power level is not close to yours either.
I just decided to stay away from Ram after that.

Thanks for the heads up on the summit order! The clutch that was in the car with the 440 was a ram and it was a solid clutch. Since I’m replacing the drivetrain and gotta get an 8 bolt flywheel I may as well get a new clutch and PP plus there a little more HP and torque in the hemi.

23 spline? If so I like the Centerforce dual friction.

I just installed a Ram Powergrip and I’m very happy with it.

I did use the Centerforce dual friction on a 18 spline, and hated it. Very strong pedal, so much so that my wife couldn't even drive the car. Even sent it back to the factory and they said it was "normal".
The ones for the 23 splines are nice however.

I did use the Centerforce dual friction on a 18 spline, and hated it. Very strong pedal, so much so that my wife couldn't even drive the car. Even sent it back to the factory and they said it was "normal".
The ones for the 23 splines are nice however.

Thanks that’s exactly the kind of info im looking for:thumbsup:

I exclusivley use RAM clutches ever since McLeod stopped making b&b pressure plates. If it was me I would call RAM and talk to them about what you want to do. I have a Powergrip 600 HD behind my 451 and it is pretty stiff and will chatter a little under very light throttle. It comes with the territory if you pound on a 4-speed car and expect any longevity from the clutch/pp setup. Also be advised that a billet flywheel is strongly recommended for any clutch disc with sintered iron/bronze/whatever friction material.

Thanks that’s exactly the kind of info im looking for:thumbsup:
On my 69 Bee with a 18 spline, both Brewers and Passon recommended a McLeod dual disc setup for the 590 hp it put out. That's what I went with, and am happy so far with it.

I exclusivley use RAM clutches ever since McLeod stopped making b&b pressure plates. If it was me I would call RAM and talk to them about what you want to do. I have a Powergrip 600 HD behind my 451 and it is pretty stiff and will chatter a little under very light throttle. It comes with the territory if you pound on a 4-speed car and expect any longevity from the clutch/pp setup. Also be advised that a billet flywheel is strongly recommended for any clutch disc with sintered iron/bronze/whatever friction material.

Thanks Yes i got a billet flywheel i’m pretty parcel to my legs:lol:
I will be using a lakewood scatter shield as well. I appreciate your real world experience with the RAM 600 HD clutch. I will contact Wayne this week and talk it over with him.

On my 69 Bee with a 18 spline, both Brewers and Passon recommended a McLeod dual disc setup for the 590 hp it put out. That's what I went with, and am happy so far with it.

That DD clutch have good street manners
and what kind of pedal effort?

Keep in mind...
For the clutch warranty to be valid they require either a new flywheel or resurfacing..

Just my $0.02... :steering:

That DD clutch have good street manners
and what kind of pedal effort?
Not bad at all. I would say pedal effort is about equivalent to a Centerforce df 23 spline, maybe a tad more. Way lighter than the 18 spline Centerforce.

I was happy with this pressure plate and pedal effort but not sure which one it is other than a RAM
ED1083FD-6641-49E4-9323-0081D2FCC655.jpeg

Even with a brand new flywheel it’s a good idea to have it resurfaced.

My RAM flywheels have come surfaced, ready to run. My McLeod flywheel was still shiny from being media tumbled or whatever and needed a fresh cut.

Auto Transport Service
Back