• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help on a dependable ride

godfatherofchry

Local time
10:19 AM
Reaction score
I need some advise on a converter imputing my 66 cornet vert together so I can drive it anywhere.the motor is a 67hp.440 motor is basically stock the cam is a step above a 6pack cam the heads 915s are pocket ported and gasket matched.I was thinking maybe a 340 converter but not sure if it will be to loose..then about a carb I was thinking an edelbrock not sure the size??..I'm not good at putting something together this stock I just want something I can drive but still have a little fun I was thinking of de tuning a 512 with the same cam and heads..but that would be a waste of a strong motor...thanks for any help....Artie

Last edited:
:rolling: Sorry the only way I can help is getting back to the front page. :grin:

Chrysler's Direct Connection performance bulletins used to recommend using the 340 converter, as a low cost substitute to the Hemi converter, when modifying a big block for street performance.

The 383 converter also had a higher stall than the 440 one, but less than the 340 converter.

If you have a good 340 converter, I would use it, but converter technology has come a long way in 40 years, and you can probably get much better results, longevity, and gas mileage with an over the counter performance converter from Chrysler (pretty darn cheap), or better yet, a good brand converter built specifically for your car/weight/gears/engine (fairly expensive, but usually worth it).

Auto Transport Service
Back