• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Please with 70 Hood Turn Signals

HawkRod

Formerly hsorman
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:29 AM
Reaction score
So I bought a set of turn signals for the hood of my 1970 Road Runner. They are rough but I am going to see if I can revive them. I have some questions:

1) How do you remove the wires from the back of the housing (see pen pointing in picture)? Do they screw off, pull off, or what? Mine only spin but will not seem to come off.

2) How do the turn signal lenses come out of the housing? Do you have to melt out the plastic from the two small holes in the back?

I need to get these apart to repair them, but I want to minimize further damage if I can.

Thanks for the help!

Hawk

IMG_0969.jpg
IMG_0971.jpg

I can't help you with removing the lenses, but the rear connector does indeed turn off. It's threaded. Once it's removed, the tiny light bulb is exposed, which just slides out. In this photo, the black base is the bulb still inserted.

hood flasher thread.jpg

By the way, if you break off your threads, you can always silicon in a wide diffusion 5mm amber LED instead. Depends on how original you need it to be.

-=Photon440=-

Photon: Thanks for the post!

My connectors just turn without coming off, so it seems that the threaded portion on mine is loose. I don't know if the threads are part of the housing or part of the lens assembly. Either way, they are loose and I guess the connectors and the threaded portion have rusted together. Now the question is how I get those off???

The wires are broken off, so maybe if I take a Dremel and grind off the back of the connector that will give me better access. Maybe just to get some penetrating oil in there - or maybe then I can cut the connector a bit and try to "peel" it off the threaded portion. I am sure I can't used high heat because that will melt the plastic.

If anyone had any ideas, I'm all ears!!!

Thanks,

Hawk

Rough? Look pretty nice to me. Anyways, there is a small metal housing that appears to have been pressed into the lens, I'm thinking that is what may be spinning. I think the only way to get the lens out is to cut the melted tabs, although you could try heating the up and pulling the housing off.

IMG_3021.jpg

Thanks for the help and responses.

I have to also say thanks to Dennis from Krusin Moons, who volunteered information to help me get these apart. Good vendor: Order from them!

This is an "exploded view" of the parts. This is the order they go back together
IMG_0972.jpg

Another view of the parts
IMG_0973.jpg

Remove any plastic/glue on the back of the housing, then use a punch, slowly tapping through each hole little by little to get the lens out.
IMG_0974.jpg

Now to order the parts.

However, does anyone have a picture of their wiring harness for these? These seem to come with bullet connectors, but my wiring harness has two spade terminals in a "T" shape.

Thanks,

Hawk

Repairing Hood Turn Signals

I received the parts from Kruzin Moons. Nice parts and good people to deal with.

The threaded nipple from the original lights are no longer available, so Krusin Moons has found a threaded barrel to use instead. They recommend using JB weld to epoxy it in place. I decided to try something different, so I figured I would share my results.

I wanted to find a similar end so the barrel replacement piece worked similar to the original. After a bit of searching I ended up buying the following from Radio Shack (about $4):
IMG_1010.jpg

All I used from the Radio Shack power jack was the nut. Now an interesting element was that the threads on the power jack are more coarse than on the hood mounted turn signals. This was so I could "lock" the nut on the barrel piece. Since the threads were different, I had to forcefully jam the nut on the first few turns. This made sure the nut would not move on its own, but would hopefully stay there permanently. This picture shows an original nipple, the replacement piece, and my modified new nipple.
IMG_1011.jpg

I then filed down the points on the nut so it was rough and rounded. The end result is shown below. The only minor difference is that it is a little bit longer than the original. This was not a problem when reassembling.
IMG_1013.jpg

Success!
IMG_1014.jpg

I hope this is helpful if you want to try the same technique.

Hawk

Do you have a pic of your wiring with the 2 spade terminals in a T-shape?

Thanks for the help and responses.

I have to also say thanks to Dennis from Krusin Moons, who volunteered information to help me get these apart. Good vendor: Order from them!

This is an "exploded view" of the parts. This is the order they go back together
View attachment 127692

Another view of the parts
View attachment 127693

Remove any plastic/glue on the back of the housing, then use a punch, slowly tapping through each hole little by little to get the lens out.
View attachment 127694

Now to order the parts.

However, does anyone have a picture of their wiring harness for these? These seem to come with bullet connectors, but my wiring harness has two spade terminals in a "T" shape.

Thanks,

Hawk

See ? and you thought dissecting that frog back in school was for no reason ? Well, it shows.. it helped you do a magnificent job !

Do you have a pic of your wiring with the 2 spade terminals in a T-shape?

I do not have a picture of the factory wiring piece that goes between the 2 spade terminals in a T shape and the bullet connectors - sorry. I wish I did, but this is a piece of wiring that I need.

I temporarily made my own to hook them up. It's kind of grungy, but it will work temporarily until I get the proper harness.

This is the "harness" that I made - nothing other than two pieces of wire with a spade terminal on one end and a female bullet connector on the other. The wires are different lengths because the one wire for the passenger lamp has to route across towards the driver side so it ends up being shorter. Rather than have a bunch of extra wire hanging around, I made up the difference in my home made harness.
IMG_1019.jpg

This is the factory plug that is for the hood mounted turn signals:
IMG_1021.jpg

Here is a picture with my home made harness hooked up. I will add some tape to keep the wires together, but this way you can see how it is hooked up. It 'aint pretty, but it works!
IMG_1024.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

See ? and you thought dissecting that frog back in school was for no reason ? Well, it shows.. it helped you do a magnificent job !

LOL. Yeah, but back then I could actually see what I was doing!!!

Is that a new forward lamp harness with those connectors for the hood lights?

I do not have a picture of the factory wiring piece that goes between the 2 spade terminals in a T shape and the bullet connectors - sorry. I wish I did, but this is a piece of wiring that I need.

I temporarily made my own to hook them up. It's kind of grungy, but it will work temporarily until I get the proper harness.

This is the "harness" that I made - nothing other than two pieces of wire with a spade terminal on one end and a female bullet connector on the other. The wires are different lengths because the one wire for the passenger lamp has to route across towards the driver side so it ends up being shorter. Rather than have a bunch of extra wire hanging around, I made up the difference in my home made harness.
View attachment 129913

This is the factory plug that is for the hood mounted turn signals:
View attachment 129914

Here is a picture with my home made harness hooked up. I will add some tape to keep the wires together, but this way you can see how it is hooked up. It 'aint pretty, but it works!
View attachment 129915

- - - Updated - - -

LOL. Yeah, but back then I could actually see what I was doing!!!

Is that a new forward lamp harness with those connectors for the hood lights?

Yes it is new replacement harness from Year One. Your question maybe seems to imply that the old harness did not have the same connector, but the connector is shown in the 1970 service manual...

Here are the connectors on my car from what appears to be an unmolested harness. I guess the connectors could vary from suppliers. As for the FSM, considering the '70 book shows the '69 AG setup...

DSCN0797.jpg

DSCN0795.jpg

I thought it may be a new replacement since it has additional leads which did not appear to be original. As mentioned the FSM pics many times are of different year and models not always correct mostly only as a basic guide. Thanks for putting up the pics and info looks like baller has some pics of factory set up

Yes it is new replacement harness from Year One. Your question maybe seems to imply that the old harness did not have the same connector, but the connector is shown in the 1970 service manual...

Here are the connectors on my car from what appears to be an unmolested harness. I guess the connectors could vary from suppliers. As for the FSM, considering the '70 book shows the '69 AG setup...

Thanks for the pictures of the original harness!

I hear you with the FSM, but it is the best I have to go by so far. Where does the other end of the female bullet connector wire go? Does it go right into the wiring harness or connect elsewhere? Could there be another "T" connector elsewhere? If you have additional pictures of the other end of this wire (or that general area) that would be much appreciated!

Hawk

Auto Transport Service
Back