• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help shifting a '41 Chevy

65wgn440

Local time
8:34 PM
Reaction score
A buddy of mine recently bought a 1941 Chevy pick-up and had it towed to my shop. It is in amazing condition, touted as "all original". My buddy never drove or rode in vehicle before purchase. This truck has the 4 speed trans option, which is a non synchronized unit with straight cut gears and creeper gear. Problem is I am having one heck of a time even upshifting this thing without major gear clash, and downshifting doesn't happen unless basically stopped. He wants to be able to drive the kids into town every now and then, but city driving would be pretty damn frustrating unless he learns the "trick" to shifting her. Clutch operates very good, into creeper or reverse when hot no problem. New fluid. Anybody have any real world advice before we take her out and just trial and error it some more ? Thanks.
IMG_20220411_130110276.jpg

Double clutching is your friend….

:D double clutch, clutch into gear , clutch out, clutch in next. Same with down shift,
It gets better once you have some practice. Engine rpms need to be close to travel speed to make it smoother
nice looking 41.

I would suggest you ask the groups that know these trucks. There is a forum I believe and then you have social media. I'll agree with what others have said and some of these older trucks you have to double clutch to shift. I believe the old Internationals are the same way. Beautiful truck by the way.

Double clutch.
What I do on an upshift, when you reach the point you want to upshift at, clutch in, move shifter to neutral, let the rpm fall to where it will be in the next gear, and let the clutch out (still in neutral). Then put the clutch in, move the shifter to the next gear.
Down shift is similar, just increase rpm a little when you let the clutch out in neutral between gears. Or simply don't down shift till stopped.
(I've got one car with no synchro in first, and two with no synchro's at all....)

Last edited:
A buddy of mine recently bought a 1941 Chevy pick-up and had it towed to my shop. It is in amazing condition, touted as "all original". My buddy never drove or rode in vehicle before purchase. This truck has the 4 speed trans option, which is a non synchronized unit with straight cut gears and creeper gear. Problem is I am having one heck of a time even upshifting this thing without major gear clash, and downshifting doesn't happen unless basically stopped. He wants to be able to drive the kids into town every now and then, but city driving would be pretty damn frustrating unless he learns the "trick" to shifting her. Clutch operates very good, into creeper or reverse when hot no problem. New fluid. Anybody have any real world advice before we take her out and just trial and error it some more ? Thanks.View attachment 1271980
You young people, the world is going to collapse when we oldsters are gone

Ha-ha, I'm no youngster (unfortunately) and have driven just about every type of 1960 up manual shift vehicle out there, but this son of a gun doesn't like me ! I've double clutched it and double clutched it again trying to go from 4th to 3rd on 90 degree rolling turns, but have only driven it twice. Thanks everyone for all the advice, will try it again once the roads dry up.

Auto Transport Service
Back