• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help w/66 Satellite brake & tail lights

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:16 AM
Reaction score
Just got this Satellite and realized no brake or tail lights. Fuses are good but no power to brake lights at connection at kick panel to rear harness. Turn signals in rear & front seem to work.
- brake light switch seems to be functioning and adjusted properly.
- headlights, front parking & turn signals OK
What has been baffled is the factory wiring diagram for 66 & 67 shows 3 wires to the brake switch and my 67 GTX in fact has 3 wires - 2 pink together on the back end of the switch and the white wire on the front terminal running to the turn signal switch. On the Satellite I have the white wire to the turn signal switch and the pink wire running to the fuse block. I don’t seem to have the second pink wire to the headlight switch - although I do find two pink wires bundled together on one terminal (B2) of the headlight plug. No sign another wire has separated from the pink wire plug on the switch. Not sure yet where the second pink wire from the headlight switch plug runs to. The first one is shown as running to the dome lights.

That’s about as far as I got today but I’ll try again tomorrow with a continuity tester and circuit tested.

But, anyone know for certain if there are in fact 3 wires to the brake light switch on a 66?

After studying the manual more I’ve about decided power shown in the wiring diagram to be routed through a piggy back connection at the brake switch terminal and then to the headlight switch on the pink wire - is instead run directly from the fuse box to the headlight switch by a pink wire. There must have been two variations of the wiring harness.

About to decide this may be a headlight switch problem instead of a turn signal problem. I think I have another switch I can try out and if that doesn’t work then more circuit checks.

I just ckd my 66,

I have 2 pink wires and 1 white wire

I didnt pull my test light to ck which side was hot

ps,,I think my SBD is early April 66

Just thinking out loud here but you said you have no rear brake lights or taillights. You also mentioned that turn signals work properly front and rear. I think I would start with troubleshooting the taillights only since that circuit is much simpler. Since the rear turn signals elements (same element as the brakes) work, your ground is probably ok as long as they appear to be of the proper brightness. It's still a good practice to always verify the grounds first. That same lead also feeds the license plate light. Is that working?

Thanks for the replies. I’m not exactly sure what the fix was but as of last night everything seemed to be working.

I started out no tail or brake lights but somewhat slow and erratic turn signals. After pulling the instruments to help see where everything was running, cleaning plug, switch and making sure all plug connections were fully seated, I had tail lights, brake lights and no turn signals.

So, I put in a new flasher unit and as of last night everything (at least with the lighting) seemed to be working - if it will just stay that way while I put everything back together.

This car had a partial restoration some time ago and appears to have been sitting awhile. Some harness plus were not fully seated, I found one plug terminal pushed out the back and so forth. I think it was bad connections and a weak flasher - maybe a light switch that needed electrical contact cleaner. While I have the instruments and radio out I’m going to go trough all the connections and harness I can get to and clean and check everything.

When I painted my engine compartment plugged everything back in. Headlights sometimes wouldn't work and were yellow when working. Finally looked at bulkhead connector, sticking out.

I suspect the 2 and 3 wire brake light inconsistency may be an assembly plant difference. My car was built at Lynchburg.

Auto Transport Service
Back