• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help wiring Miìni Starter

66 Sat

Local time
3:50 AM
Reaction score
I've bought a mini starter for my 66 Satellite with a stroked 318 poly.
I am useless at electrical and need some very basic help with wiring it up.
The old starter has 3 wires going to 2 posts
20230224_190524.jpg

20230224_190658.jpg

The new starter has 2 posts but also this wire with a connector on the end. What is that for?
20230224_181317.jpg

20230224_181328.jpg

20230224_181338.jpg

Please can someone help with a simple hand drawn diagram or explanation of what wires go where? Thanks

Last edited:
the wiring goes on the same way as you took it apart. that wire on the side is a transfer wire for the armature to turn the engine over don't add any wires to it make sure they are tight and that is it.

the wiring goes on the same way as you took it apart. that wire on the side is a transfer wire for the armature to turn the engine over don't add any wires to it make sure they are tight and that is it.
So I don't need that extra wire that it comes with? Should I unplug it and cover the connector? What do you mean by "transfer wire"? Is it for testing the starter without the other wiring hooked up?
20230224_181328.png

20230224_181317.png

Where does that small red wire end up going to? On the car

I think it's the one coming from the right behind the brake booster
20230224_190339.jpg

Whoa here...the above advice is wrong. The wire on the starter is your solenoid connection.

Screenshot 2023-02-24 at 12-45-48 AF4250-1337.pdf.png

Just like a regular Chrysler mini-starter, the battery and solenoid terminals are next to each other. No idea what that other terminal on the opposite side is for. It is a universal design.
But please don't take my word for it, download the instructions here: AF4250-1337 - CHRYS STARTER SMALL- BIG BLOCK

Last edited:
Whoa here...the above advice is wrong. The wire on the starter is your solenoid connection.

View attachment 1423666

Just like a regular Chrysler mini-starter, the battery and solenoid terminals are next to each other. No idea what that other terminal on the opposite side is for. It is a universal design.
But please don't take my word for it, download the instructions here: AF4250-1337 - CHRYS STARTER SMALL- BIG BLOCK
Geez, your good. I've just found the instructions myself after checking the item number on my invoice, and by the time I get back you've already posted a link to them!
The connection under the rubber flap on the other side isn't to be used by the looks.
So my red wires go on the battery positive post, and the black wire connects to the starter switch wire ( as per BeepBeep's advice above)?
I think the advice was correct but my photo had the starter switch wire snaking over to the other side so it looked like he was pointing to the other connection and not the starter switch wire in his drawing.

Geez, your good. I've just found the instructions myself after checking the item number on my invoice, and by the time I get back you've already posted a link to them!
The connection under the rubber flap on the other side isn't to be used by the looks.
So my red wires go on the battery positive post, and the black wire connects to the starter switch wire ( as per BeepBeep's advice above)?
I think the advice was correct but my photo had the starter switch wire snaking over to the other side so it looked like he was pointing to the other connection and not the starter switch wire in his drawing.
Okay, sounds like you've got it handled!
(I was referring to the advice that the wire off the starter wasn't to be used.)

[1] The short black wire with white insulators that comes with the starter is only used if the existing small black wire [ with yellow crimp ] is not long enough. Avoid using the extension if possible, you want minimal connections/joins in the starter cct. You will have to change the terminal on the end of the black wire to a spade terminal.
[2] The two red wires under the large nut on the factory starter go under the same large nut on the new starter.

Auto Transport Service
Back