• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with 73 Charger exhaust system installation

Curt Chambers

Local time
1:34 PM
Reaction score
Hello all. I purchased a complete exhaust system form Classic Industries to go on to the stock manifolds.

A couple questions... does it matter which way the muffler goes? There are no markings to indicate direction of flow. On one end of the muffler the port is centered, and on the other it is offset (I don't have the original exhaust to compare with).

Also, I assumed this was a bolt-on/clamp-on system since it comes with clamps. But neither end of the muffler slides into the exhaust pipe. Did they send the wrong parts or is there a trick to gettiong these pieces to slide together?

Thanks, Curt.

Usually offset inlet center out on the mufflers. They may just be slightly out of round or need deburring. The pipe diameter is identical? The mufflers should slide over the headpipe.

I figured out part of the problem. One of the muffler inlets was bent. Not a lot, but enough to interfere with fitment. Some counter-pressure in a vise fixed that.

Next question is about the tips. I purchased the system for use with tips (which I already had on hand), but the mounting portion of the tips are exacltly the same diameter as the end of the tail pipe. So how are the tips supposed to be mounted.

A good muffler shop can stretch them for you. Or get a tailpipe expansion kit, it inserts into the pipe and you tighten a bolt which expands the guts.
Temporary you can use a band clamp, but it's not the right way.

Expand the pipe not the tip. Expanding the tip will usually damage the finish. Sometimes the tip can be expanded but if its stainless steel it will split.

Auto Transport Service
Back