• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with ID # 1967 440

I know personally all of its owners since new. The owner that bought it off of the new car lot in Denver when he got out of Veitnam was a retired Colorado State Patrol officer. He now delivers parts to keep himself busy for Orielly's Auto Parts. I have found everyone after that up to the person I bought it from. Every single one claims they know with out a dought that they did not change the engine. The third owner did put a Six Pack on it. I teach College Diesel Equipment Technology and my students Tech Math teacher's dad used to own the Dodge dealership that sold it to the guy I bought it from. He remembers the car well and he even said it was untouched by them. That is why it is so confusing . All of these guys still are thinking with a very clear memory of the time they spent with the car. I will look at the 727 tranny closer. I will also wire wheel the whole engine to see if I can find any more numbers.
The no HP and not being able to prove or disprove this engine not being original to this GTX is frustrating. THANKS TO ALL for your info and want to hear from any one else that has be in this similar situation, late 67 early 68 pre vin identification .

So knowing that a date coded October 30 1967 block. A car build date of April 11 1968. A "D440" on pad.
All of this is before mopar started putting vin # on major components on vehicles .

Your car is from the STL plant (G on VIN on broadcast sheet). STL started stamping VINs early in the year so that particular plant had been stamping VINs for a long time before the car was built.

There is a lot of controversy over stamping VINs in '68. Some evidence exists that only the 383 and 440 HP blocks got stamped. There are C body 440 CID cars that do not have VIN stamps. Given that this engine was assembled six months before the engine was built, the lack of a VIN on the block, the current knowledge about the 68 STL plant stamping VINs early in the year and C body cars not getting VINs, this is a lot of evidence that the block is not original to the car.

What would tie an engine to a pre and early 1968 vehicle as being original? Only engines with VIN stamps can be definitively linked to a particular car. This makes it impossible to call a '67 and earlier car as 'matching numbers'

All casting on engine components indicate the recipe for a "HP" block with out it being on the pad. Does using the letter "P" indicate it being comparable to an HP engine used in later years? From what I have seen from engine assembly stamps, the 4bbl cars, regardless of CID or 68 to 70 HP designations, they are stamped with a P for premium fuel. A non HP C body 440 would still be stamped with a P

Thank you guys for being so helpful.

Also...FWIW...is the broadcast sheet pictured supposed to go with the VIN tag and fender tag? They do not match.

Yes they are. I never took a close look at it. It is a GTX build sheet right? The color options and the blue painted top match the fender tag doesn't it? I wonder why this happens?

- - - Updated - - -

If the build sheet is wrong. Does the vin and fender tag tell us where it was built. Is it still the STL plant?

Yes they are. I never took a close look at it. It is a GTX build sheet right? The color options and the blue painted top match the fender tag doesn't it? I wonder why this happens?

- - - Updated - - -

If the build sheet is wrong. Does the vin and fender tag tell us where it was built. Is it still the STL plant?

Yes it is a GTX broadcast sheet but it does not go with the VIN and fender tags.

It's not unusual for a broadcast sheet to wind up in the wrong car especially if the interior of the two cars are the same color.

Yes the VIN still tells us it was built at the STL plant.

Although the numbers issue is disappointing, you still have a great car, and is very valuable regardless.
Lets see some pictures!
And, Take a look around that shift linkage and get the trans number. It may shed light on what the engine is from. If it correct, at least that will help document the car.

Here is the transmission #s PK2801543L. 2475. 2369
does any of that make sense ? Does it tie the car to the engine?

Ok, Trans Number 2801543 is 1967 383 four barrel, and 1968 383 two barrel engine.

Ok, Trans Number 2801543 is 1967 383 four barrel, and 1968 383 two barrel engine.

WoW, this car was road hard and put away wet. Built to just tear up Main Street . It has such low miles 22k. Maybe it tore up the original engine and trans. Like I said it had a six pack with a tear drop tac on the hood. Thank you for your info! At least everything is date correct.

Yes, I look past all that numbers matching stuff.It's nice, but in the end, it's just an old car. Fun in any event. In North Omaha in 68' the fastest car in the area was a 68' GTX driven by an old guy with no hair on his head. he kicked young guys around regularly. You have a great style, lets see some pictures!

assembled: Day 2475 is Tuesday, May 7, 1968 for a '68 383-2bbl. The date is not even close to the date on the engine and after the car's SPD.

Regardless of anyone's memory, this engine and transmission "highly probably/likely" do not belong in this car.

Yes 69coronetrt,
I believe The original is long gone. But still a lot of life left in it!

Yes, I look past all that numbers matching stuff.It's nice, but in the end, it's just an old car. Fun in any event. In North Omaha in 68' the fastest car in the area was a 68' GTX driven by an old guy with no hair on his head. he kicked young guys around regularly. You have a great style, lets see some pictures!

thanks for your help. I've had this car since 1996. Now that I have some answers I will likely put it up for sale.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 152
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 166
Thats a cool color combo. Dont know why the numbers thing would want to make you sell now after all these years. Does it still run and drive? Are you wanting something different or just selling out?

make sure you look at the hood tach before you throw it away.
those were available for all cars,not just transams.

and,that is a sweet color combo,that car would be drop dead if redone beautiful.

QUOTE=monaco66coupe;910313068]The P is for Premium fuel.[/QUOTE]

LOL

Good one!

:rev_in_action:[

That is just a green sealer on the roof. This car came from the factory with a painted metallic blue roof. I have to many projects. Some of which are a couple of Challengers, 1971 60k miles sassy green color code and a 1972 black 440 pistol grip 4 speed. Both run and wouldn't need as much as the GTX.

I always thought those stampings were for the pad not in the ID stamp.

They are for both, as they show how to read the 10,000 day code as well.

Auto Transport Service
Back