• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with ID # 1967 440

I don't think that code set is for the stamp on the rail otherwise there would be an HP on the rail too as that is in the same set as where you see the P for premium. HP is on the pad. WT is on the pad. Any oversize or undersize codes are on the pad. These are not found on the rail. Why there is a P on the rail I don't know..should be a D.

I may be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time....

Yes,
But its a long standing joke from years ago on the Forum
P=Premium fuel...
I goofed one day, long story, sorry...

I don't think that code set is for the stamp on the rail otherwise there would be an HP on the rail too as that is in the same set as where you see the P for premium. HP is on the pad. WT is on the pad. Any oversize or undersize codes are on the pad. These are not found on the rail. Why there is a P on the rail I don't know..should be a D.

I may be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time....

The P would be a function of components (pistons) assembled at a certain point the in the assembly.

The HP stamp would be a function of other components added later.

Kind of like "All HPs are Ps but not all Ps are HP".

Would it be safe to assume the type of piston is reflected by the R or P for type of fuel? Every 340 68-70 I have is P, every 318 is R.

Would it be safe to assume the type of piston is reflected by the R or P for type of fuel? Every 340 68-70 I have is P, every 318 is R.

It's hard to make too sweeping of generalizations across all years and applications.

IN GENERAL....probably more the carb. 2bbls (318/2, 361/2, 383/2) as they typically had lower CR.

Using the above, excluding the 6bbl cars, 440s would be 4bbls so they would use premium fuel but not all 440-4bbls were considered HP (depending on the year...).

Last edited:
With the #s on the rail with this letter "P" would this engine have the same specs as a HP STAMPED ENGINE? All castings on heads, block and intake manifold says it is.

With the #s on the rail with this letter "P" would this engine have the same specs as a HP STAMPED ENGINE? All castings on heads, block and intake manifold says it is.

The non HP and HP engines used the same block, heads and intake so the castings will be the same between them. The difference in the HP was the valve train, windage tray, carb and distributor; all things that were add ons to the basic castings.

The 67-69 440's also used the same Pistons, and had the corresponding compression ratios as well. Mopar made many engines that recommended using premium fuel and stamped so, that were not HP engines. My 68' four barrel 330HP engine is not stamped HP, but has the P in the serial number as well. it is however the same compression ratio as the 335 HP Roadrunner/ Superbee engine. The 1968 two barrel 383 I have is stamped R.(9:2.1 engine)

help with ID

I know this is beat to death probably but what does the "S" mean on the Rail mine goes PT440S24853126 ive seen where others have a "P" for Premium fuel but what does the "S" mean??

Auto Transport Service
Back