Help with k member info please

General Mopar Tech Discussions

1. Kiwi383

Kiwi383 Member

Local Time:
    8:33 PM
    Hello to all, My partner has recently imported a 70 Charger from the US to New Zealand. We have just found the cause of a steering gremlin. The k member where the torsion bar is mounted has given out. We are going to pull the k member out and see if it is repairable but may look at replacing it if its too far gone. My question is, what other k members will fit. It is a 70 Charger originally a 383 4 speed car and now a 440 4 speed. I know it will have to be a big block k member but will E body big block k members fit? or does it have to be, just B body k members? is there a difference between years? and is a 383 member the same as a 440 one?Does it matter if its power steer on manual steer etc. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for all of your knowledge.

Crack in K Member - Torsion bar mount..jpg Crack in K Member torsion bar mount 2.jpg 20191124_173227.jpg

2. randys4406

randys4406 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    4:33 AM
    No difference between small block and big block K frame for 70 B body . 68-69 will work with out a front sway bar. The 70 sway bar goes though the k frame and the 68 -69 mounts in front. Earlier B body 66-67 will work also but the idler arm only has a single tab mount where the 68-70 have top and bottom. I believe E body will work also, but not 100% sure. Check Schumacher conversion website. Will tell you the difference in K Frames.

3. T2R9

T2R9 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    4:33 AM
    Steering angle is different on an E-Body. That's a one year only k-member. As mentioned small and big block is the same.

4. Kiwi383

Kiwi383 Member

Local Time:
    Thank you for you help, much appreciated

5. Kiwi383

Kiwi383 Member

Local Time:
    Thank you for you help, much appreciated

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.