• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with rocker panel moldings

Hilljack68

Local time
4:33 AM
Reaction score
I'll be installing the chrome trim on the rockers of my 68 Coronet soon, and I'm hoping there might be some instruction here among the tribe or somewhere on the web. Anyone know of a tutorial out there in regards to installing the clips?

20210116_122819.jpg

Your steel clips go on each end so you have access to the nuts.
If dealing with a virgin rocker lay the molding on and get your up,down and left, right set. Run some tape or draw a grease pencil line.
Put your end steel clips in, on each end of the rocker place some paint tape at the aprox location on the rocker.
Clips in molding, push onto rocker staying true to your prev laid out lines.
Clip studs will index / mark on the tape.
Those are your drill points, dbl check all before drilling.
Plastic is easy once the ends are set.
Space out even , make sure each clip is set the same ( there is top and bottom edge ) on the plastic.
Make use of your laid out lines to mount the plastic , push in pins will lock them.
Molding hooks under the clips and snaps up on the top edge.
If you not 100% dead on the ends left and right you can slide them a little to make them hit.
Extra pair of hands help when setting tape lines and getting all level.

Last edited:
make sure each clip is set the same ( there is top and bottom edge ) on the plastic.

Thanks for the info! So there is a "top" and a "bottom" to those plastic clips? They're not marked and they look exactly the same at both ends. Of course, I'm looking at the repops, and maybe they're made wrong ...wouldn't that be a shocker.

Also, do the metal clips orient this way?...

mclip-jpg.jpg

The plastic, one end should be a hair thicker with a under cut / relief, that is the bottom. The top should be a little more flexible to snap the top edge over.

The metal clips mount to the molding and will sit in it at a aprox 30 degree angle, the spring wire is pulled up or down depending on the clip and set into the molding edge to retain it. You can still move it left and right a little if needed.
In the pic you show, the wire would be pulled down and snap into the upper molding edge.
That is pretty close to the angle you will have as it sets in the molding.

Well here's what I'm looking at... pretty much the same on either side.
20210117_132910.jpg

That little tab sticking out on plastic piece in fore ground helps protect the paint. MO you should hook trim on opposite side of tab and snap on the trim on side with tab.
I'm glad I was able to buy NOS plastic trim clips for my 66 Satellite from the dealer in 1981. Still was nervous putting trim on, there is a ton of it, no chips.
Near found the cups for the wheels 99% sure I tossed because e were broken.

Well here's what I'm looking at... pretty much the same on either side.View attachment 1055785
I see that. huh, well they should work Ethier way looks like.
When snapping on trim ect I like a little dish soap/water mix on things. Seems to help things pop in place and will not hurt the finish.

Didn't you buy a set of turbine wheels from? Guess I could've context.

LMAO!! Yep - sure did Fran. Sorry, I was just confused by the verbage. One of us must've had too much rum.

Auto Transport Service
Back