• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with tire/wheel fitment 1971 Satellite

Plymouth71

Waterslide Decal Artist
Local time
6:24 PM
Reaction score
I just purchased some 5 Spoke American Racing rims from a friend. I was very excited because I've wanted some for quite a while. The fronts are straight replacements but the rears are a little big. They are 255/60/15. I tried putting them on but they will interfere with the fender lip the moment I hit a bump in the road. I bought the car with 42000 original miles so I believe the rear drums are what came with the vehicle behind the 14" steel wheels and hubcaps. Any suggestions?

IMG_20190930_160749253.jpg IMG_20190930_160855159.jpg IMG_20190930_161019432.jpg IMG_20190930_160749253.jpg

4.50 is a good back space for the rear ,it looks like you have plenty of room, to me.i have 255 60 15 on my 71 tons of room there.O by the way nice car.

I loaded the trunk 250 lbs of children and the wheels rub. Thanks for the kind words. Sorry, not up to speed on wheel spacing terms. What do you mean .

IMG_20190930_170205436.jpg IMG_20190930_170145633.jpg

you don't have enough backspace. I try to keep mine flush with the wheel well lip or inside some. I use a 15x8 1/2 with a 5 1/2 inch backspace and it keeps them from sticking out. it looks like you have a ton of room between the tire and leaf springs

Last edited:
you don't have enough backspace. I try to keep mine flush with the wheel well or inside some. I use a 15x8 1/2 with a 5 1/2 inch backspace and it keeps them from sticking out. it looks like you have a ton of room between the tire and leaf springs
Agreed. The tires aren’t your problem, the wheels are.

Ok I think I figured it out. A couple years ago my neighbor backed in to the left rear fender and creased it. I had a local shop do the repairs. I guess their "laser straight" bodywork might need some massaging. It only needs to move1/2 an inch or so. I hope they stick by their work. The only other option I think I have is to loosen the U-bolts and slide the axle a half inch. Any other thoughts or suggestions? I really like the look though.

IMG_20190930_175620135.jpg

One piece torque thrusts are beautiful wheels, but most of the one piece wheels have too little backspace, making tire fitment difficult, as seen on your car. 71 runners have huge wheelwells, if the tire is in the right place. As others have mentioned, you need a backspace somewhere around 4 1/2", my guess is that yours are probably 3 1/2", meaning they are around an inch too close to the fender lip.
Backspace is measured best with the tire off the rim but it is not neccessary. Rim does have to be off the car. Lay a staight edge across the rear edge of the rim (without the tire moving it away from the rim) and using a measuring tape ,or ruler, measure to the mounting face on the wheel. That will be your backspace. It tells you how centered the tire will be in the wheelwell. More backspace, closer to the spring, less backspace, closer to the fender. Two piece wheels can be ordered with varying bs measurements, but with a one piece you are stuck with what the manufacturer decides to make.

I did this to my 71 Roadrunner...and GTX. Bought 2 sets of 15/7 TTO's. Was experimenting and tried a 15x8.5 TTO, and it was just too wide for me. Needed more offset.

In the end, on the RR, I went with 225/70s front & 255/70s rear. On the GTX, 235/60s & 255/60s I like the 70 series better. Fills the wheel wells better.

Check your offset, but if I recall, they only offer 3.75, where you really need 4 to 4.5" to get a nice fit.

Loosening u bolts and sliding the axle isn't going to happen. You would need to cut the spring saddles off, move the axles and weld them back on.

Ok I think I figured it out. A couple years ago my neighbor backed in to the left rear fender and creased it. I had a local shop do the repairs. I guess their "laser straight" bodywork might need some massaging. It only needs to move1/2 an inch or so. I hope they stick by their work. The only other option I think I have is to loosen the U-bolts and slide the axle a half inch. Any other thoughts or suggestions? I really like the look though.
The bodywork on you quarter is not your problem. Like stated above, you need a wheel with more backspace

My 73, with similar if not identical wheel wells has 255/60/15 with plenty of room for wider on factory 15x6.5 rallye wheels.

Agree with others, the back space is not enough.

i , myself , also use 70 series tires even on wider wheels like the 8 1/2 torque thrusts on mine . I use a 15x7 on the front with a 225/70/15 and a 255/70/15 on the 8 1/2. it's really a matter of preference, but I like to fill the huge wheel wells. I never would use a 14" on my mopars.

Yep. Not enough backspacing....get the rims off as carefully as possible so you can sell them, as most places won't refund/exchange a rim once it's been mounted. Bummer I know, but..live and learn. You should be able to recop a decent amount of money since they're new. Chalk it up to experience..
I loaded the trunk 250 lbs of children and the wheels rub. Thanks for the kind words. Sorry, not up to speed on wheel spacing terms. What do you mean .
Backspace is the amount of space between the mounting surface of the wheel (where it bolts to the brake hub), and the inside edge of the wheel. More backspace moves the wheel inwards.
t-i.jpg

Last edited:
And try not to get confused by 'backspace' vs. 'offset'....offset is just another way of measuring the same thing and is expressed in (+) or (-), and often in millimeters. Using the diagrams above, if you have say, an 8" wheel, a 5" backspace would be the same as a positive 1" offset. (Or 25mm). Offset is measured from the centerline of the wheel.

I think the OP bought them from a private sale.

...maybe that's why they were a "good deal".

Ok, so I measured it. On the passenger side, I have 15.5" from the back of the wheel well to the wheel opening lip. On the Driver side I have 14.25" from the Back of the Wheel well to the wheel opening lip. Took it for an alignment and they advised everything is correct. There is no visible damage to the axle mounts, Rear Diff is in the correct location, and the rear leaf spring are in the correct location. the Alignment pin is in place. The only thing I can think of is the Body work. Or maybe an issue with the wheel? I was thinking of trying to swap them.

How much room do you have from the side of the tire to the leaf springs? Get some rims that leave you 3/4" there and you will be good. You haven't listened to the guys telling you that the back spacing on those rims wont work with your car. You should be able to easily fit 275/60/15's on the back of your car.

What almost everybody has been trying to tactfully tell you is.... you bought the wrong wheels. They are pretty, but they dont fit.

And yes, there have been many times when factory assembly was quite a bit off, from side to side. Clearances can differ from side to side even with untouched factory bodywork.

Auto Transport Service
Back