• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with Wilwood rear discs not working with steel wheels

Hemiphant

Local time
7:33 AM
Reaction score
I am in the process of changing my old school cragars over to the Mopar steel wheels - fronts 15x8 and the rears 15x10. I have a Wilwood disc brake conversion front and rear ( installed prior to my purchase). The rear 15x10 rear wheel with 5.5 backspacing hits the Wilwood caliper in the rears - literally 3/16 of an inch on top and bottom. We cannot use spacers because the tire width ( 50 series) will hit the 1/4 panel lip if pushed out any further and the calipers cannot be modified. I have 12.19 sized rotors in rear. I cant use the 11" Wilwood rotor kit without replacing the entire set up in the rear. Has anyone got a fix for this from their own experience or should I go back to the rear drum set up as originally planned before the steel wheel concern? Thank you for your help

Charger Rear disc brake picture.JPG

3/16”? Sounds like a little off the top with a grinder can fix that

That’s the only thing I can think of without using spacers

Slot the caliper mounting holes to make the caliper hug the rotor?

484BCB14-C5B2-4A25-B723-EADC98B7EB88.jpeg
C56B19D3-14EA-4B91-B0B6-4B3E23AFE69C.jpeg
20F53C3B-3622-4392-AC9D-BED21B7DF097.jpeg
I’ve got the exact same kit as you and I am running 15” wheels on the back of mine. I’ve got a 4.75” backspace also 15x10... mine are American racing 200s... I had them built to clear these callipers though. Was a bit expensive. But nonetheless it’s on and it works without a spacer. I have 28x12 Mickey Thompson tires. Maybe you can take your wheels to a wheel shop and have them modified to fit? Up here costs about $300/wheel for something like that.

I would stick your Cragars back on, unless your dead set on using steelies and then I would install drum brakes.

Hemiphant: Is that a hard line going to the caliper? If so how do you remove the caliper to remove a rotor etc without opening up the brake system and having to bleed the brakes?

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back