• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help!! with wiring

deputybob2004

Local time
11:37 PM
Reaction score
I need some help. I just put a new dash wiring harness in my 70 road runner. the under the hood side of the wiring harness has 3 sets of plug ins.
1 for the engine forward wiring(goes in the bottom plug)
1 for the engine itself(goes in the middle plug)
what is the other harness (top plug in ) for?
when I bought this car 6 months ago the gas gauge would not work,so i started back tracking from the tank to the dash.I shined a flashlight up under the dash and was surprised!! it had been on fire at one time and there were more scotch locks under there than auto zone stocks!!
anyway i have no idea what goes on the top plug in and need help. thanks from a guy who will NEVER buy another car on ebay unless I can look at it first! thanks bob
70 road runner
71 duster
75 duster
71 demon
56 desoto hemi
Ps : new dash harness,new engine forward harness, engine harness coming,soon!

the engine forward /lights wiring harness is for all front lights and signals, and it plugs into the bottom of the female plug that come through the fire wall. the nest section (going up the female plug) appears to be for the engine harness. so the top plug or row of plug ins cant be for the lights. Could there be a plug in for accessories? there is not pig tail for the wipers on the engine/forward wiring harness. If some one has a picture of under the hood firewall that shows the wiring harness and what plugs into it, it sure would be helpfull. thanks bob

I dont have a photo, but my wiring diagram shows 4 wires in the lower section to be for the wiper motor. the upper side is unclear, but I'm gonna go with the neutral safety/back up lamp switch.

The top row on my 69 Road runner was for the wiper motor and I believe the neutral safety switch plugged into it as well.

I stand corrected Plymouthfan is right here is a pic

road runner 067.jpg

i got a new engine harness and wiper harness and a neutral safety harness (4 speed) from year one, and they had it in stock!!!! thanks for all you all's help. problem fixed and fixed right. bob

Auto Transport Service
Back