• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi "Crate" Engines

69Chrgr

Local time
11:12 PM
Reaction score
Anybody here ever deal with Tim Banning from FHO for anything? I'm pulling the trigger on a 572 street engine in August. I've heard good things elsewhere, just wondering.

Carlwalski on Cuda-challenger.com just got a 540 HEMI dual EFI throttle body done by FHO

Cant really beat the craftsmanship, also they use titanium parts which are exhotic/light and EXTREMELLY strong.

If you have like 40 000 dollars for just an engine, go for it. I can only dream :/

Most popular and having the best reputation of crate Hemis over here in Europe is Indy engines.

Anybody here ever deal with Tim Banning from FHO for anything? I'm pulling the trigger on a 572 street engine in August. I've heard good things elsewhere, just wondering.

I must be out of touch. I don't even know what FHO stand for. Or ... does it stand for something?

Most popular and having the best reputation of crate Hemis over here in Europe is Indy engines.

I almost had a Crate Indy Hemi gernade on me at the shop.... 528" Legend --- pushrod broke, excissive clearance on the valve lash on one valve (could stack 3 quarters under the roller), and there the roller tip was about to come off a rocker arm.

I must be out of touch. I don't even know what FHO stand for. Or ... does it stand for something?

For Hemis Only. He's up where the antelope play. Never dealt with Tim personally, but I can say I've never heard anything but good about him.

I was on the telephone, in a conference call, to Ray Barton when one of his engines had over 15 thousands front to rear movement in the crank on the thrust bearing.

His solution was to loosen the thrust main cap and beat it one way or the other to tighten up the clearance. This was on an aluminum block with dual side bolts and dual 1/2 studs. :yes:

I removed the crank, sent it to have the thrust main hard chromed and reground, never to call him again for any further "assistance"...:no:

Wow. :worry:

A friend of mine had them do a motor. They shipped him everything for him to assemble. Before he got anything assembled, he discovered there was an oil return passage that wasn't drilled in to the deck. Barton was a total *** about the whole thing. By bud had to pay shipping up and back so they RB could drill the missing passage.

After assembly he discovered a fairly serious problem with lifter oiling. He had had them correct the lifter bores, installing bronze inserts. They, RB, had said this lifter bore work wouldn't adversely affect hydraulic lifters. Truth be known, there wasn't enough oil pressure flowing through to keep the lifters pumped up past 5000rpm. They were very condescending on the phone when he called them, with them saying "I thought you were an engine builder."

Naturally he followed that reminding them of the problems with the block and said "I thought you were a machine shop"

The only resolution to the lifter problem was to run a solid cam.

The friend I'm speaking of isn't a noob. He's been a NMCA, NSCA record holder, many MANY class and shootout wins running six packs, and Maxi's. Barton is SUPPOSED to know what they are doing. They certainly will CHARGE like they know what they are doing. But they don't. They seem to be arrogant asses who care nothing for their customers, and I wouldn't use them if my Hemi car was done (except motor) and they were the only Hemi supplier left on the planet

I have dealth with him on several occasions. He builds a good motor, stands behind his work, and you pay for it.

If you need the handholding, have no engine builder that can help you out, and have that large of a budget, he is very reliable.

PS FHO does not sell crate engines they are all custom built.

I wouldn't say I need any hand holding, as I've just put together a 408 small block for a 68 Cuda that runs mid 11's on pump gas. However Hemi's are a little different and require (my belief anyway) adequate experience. And no, for a "custom" built 572 Hemi, he quoted me under $21,000.00. For 720 horsepower, I'd say that's not bad. I believe I'll be going with Tim @ FHO. Thanks for the replies.

Auto Transport Service
Back