• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi hood clearance will it fit

pnora

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:32 PM
Reaction score
My current build 69 charger with a second generation Hemi I have hood clearance questions.
My car is not together completely. It runs and moves but no fenders or hood. I have the Mopar performance single carb intake with a 4150HP carb with a 1 inch spacer. The air cleaner I have is just to keep the dirt out. My question is what fits under the stock hood. Any ideas or am I looking at an aftermarket 6 pack hood?

100_1900.JPG 100_1901.JPG 100_1903.JPG

The stock aircleaner drops quit a bit. Get 2 pieces of wood or something straight and rigid and run them from the cowl to the core support and take a photo Straight on from the side so we can see height of aircleaner.

I’ll measure on my car

E17DF7A7-86F7-4A7A-97A6-3691255F6918.jpeg

I can do that. I wonder how high the hood is to the core support?

The stock aircleaner drops quit a bit. Get 2 pieces of wood or something straight and rigid and run them from the cowl to the core support and take a photo Straight on from the side so we can see height of aircleaner.

I’ll measure on my car

View attachment 1056884

That won’t quite give the whole picture. The Center of the hood is higher and there is curvature to account for.
You’ll defiantly be looking for a drop base air cleaner and maybe a little lower paper element too. The best way is if you can test fit the hood and slowly lower it. Modelling clay or putty on top of the air cleaner to let you know how much clearance you actually have..

Yes it will. I’m going to compare his to my car with stock carbs intake and air cleaner. I can give him an idea where he is now. I realize the hood is curved and higher in the center. Open the hood and look across the fenders, the air cleaner is higher than the fenders and the hood will close and not hit anything.

Thanks for the help. Project has been a long time coming. I am trying to plan ahead so I am prepared for the dilemmas. Right now I was looking for others that might have similar combinations. No doubt when hood fitting time comes The air cleaner as well as stud will be off. In hind sight I would of went with dual throttle body EFI. I just accumulated so much and of course more options are available now compared to where I started.

Looks good. If it's close, and you tried drop bases, shorter air cleaners, you could also use K frame spacers. To drop or lower the engine in the engine bay. Up to 1" is doable. Unfortunately, mine required a scoop for clearance.

IMG9525591.jpg IMG9539311.jpg

Here is a piece of wood next to the air cleaner.

Then the 3rd one is with wood on cowl above voltage regulator and just resting on center of aircleaner. The gap between the wood and core support is 1.75”. Wood goes at a slight angle side to side.

here is from the passenger side with wood on other side of aircleaner.

My car has fenders on it so looking from the side is way different than your photos.

EEE46D40-01F6-4B9E-9CCC-6B83E06B76AF.png 8B4436D6-0847-43AD-81E5-6E5C7897FEB9.png 818CE7C4-AD7A-4E00-BC8D-EBED693E7E37.png E40B132F-C2B3-44AC-95A8-C506D29789D4.png

I will raise mine the 1 3/4 inches above the core support tomorrow and see what it looks like. I may not be as far off as I thought. Thanks a lot. Will post back.

This is with the 1 3/4 spacer. Better but I doubt it will clear. So if I remove the carb spacer or go with a 1/2 spacer it should work. The air cleaner on there now is a drop base and there is no room to go lower unless I go bigger like a 16 inch diameter. The only way to be sure is to get the sheet metal on. R413 How close is your hood to your air cleaner?

100_2075.JPG

Last edited:
My car doesn’t have a hood on it at all, so I’ve got plenty of clearance! LOL

But it’s all stock parts so I know the hood will fit. 67 GTX so the hood is flat in the center, no power bulge in center.

Thanks. I am close but I have doubts. Need to get more done to know for sure.

Engine looks high from the pics, correct mounts?

Ok just the heads look higher, maybe because the fenders are not on it

Ok just the heads look higher, maybe because the fenders are not on it
You are right on the fenders being off. It is an illusion for the most part that has been bugging the crap out of me. It is better than I thought with the other pictures posted showing a Hemi and the cowl to core support relationship. I wont know for sure until the sheet metal is on which will be soon.

This may or may not help you but here is some data.

This is a 1969 Belvedere with a flat hood. The motor is a B series 383 so I believe that it is 3/4” lower than yours. The intake is an RPM performer which is 5 1/2” above the block at the back and 4 1/2” above at the front (as measured from the valley pan hold down rail’s if you put a straight edge across the the mounting area of the carb from front to back). The carburetor is an edelbrock, and that is a factory chrome unsilenced air cleaner. I had to search for a shorter filter (wix makes one that is 2.25” tall) in order to give me about 1/2 - 5/8” clearance between the hood and the aircleaner in the area circled in white in the photo when the hood is closed. Clearance was a non-issue everywhere else. For a B motor, the M1 intake is even a 1/4” taller than this RPM performer (4 3/4”F and 5 3/4”R)

I’m not sure about the charger profile on the hood but if it’s similar this may help you. My thoughts are that you will have clearance issues especially with the 1” spacer you’ve added.

7990FF29-C617-44F1-AB4B-B243F2C132C6.jpeg

I am pretty sure the spacer will have to go. Like I said need to get the sheet metal on and go from there. I may just put my freshly painted hood in the barn and buy a bolt on fiberglass with either the Hemi or six pack style scoop. Wonder who makes the best hood now days?

Auto Transport Service
Back