• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi leaf Spring question

Rusty

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:23 AM
Reaction score
Q: 1966 Belvedere II HEMI car, one leaf spring has more bands (springs) then the other thus I have longer U Clamps that hold the axel to the springs. I took the car apart for restoration 6 months ago and didnt notice the springs were different. Which side does the Leaf Spring with the larger amount of bands go?

The 7 leaf [bands] go on the passenger side. Your U bolts [clamps] are the same. When you get on the car hard the right wheel wants to come up off the ground. The unequal number of leaf springs help to control this. Thats also the reaso for putting the battery in the trunk just behind the right wheel well. Due to the fulcrum effect a 20# battery puts 35 more pound of wait on the r/rear wheel. Those springs along with a pinion snubber is the very reason mopars hooked better than all the other cars of the day.

Patrick - thanks!, I assumed the passenger side due to the reason you listed now I feel better knowing I dont have to tear it apart again.

Auto Transport Service
Back