• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi Orange 72 Rallye Charger

fatecaptured

Local time
3:17 PM
Reaction score
So I'm finally getting around to starting my own thread based on this addition this year. I'm not near finished with my other project, but I seen an opportunity and took it. I purchased the car from eBay.

The car is a Lynch Road car. No build sheet so far. Interior has been searched for one. No luck. Could've been discarded, who knows. The charger is a rallye. It has the bulge hood, rallye stripe and swaybars. Although the rear sway bar is missing, the presence of one is there. The car cam from the factor with a 440 and 727 with 3.55 sure grip. Bucket seats, rallye dash, 150 mph speedo w/clock. Rear defrost and air conditioning. Also has power disc breaks and hideaway head lights. Half vinyl top " topper" black. It's a hemi orange hard top w/ power windows.

I can't wait to get this dude back on the road....

These are the seller's pictures in his add:

KGrHqFnUE-wm1kJRTBPZfiK5g60_35.jpg

KGrHqFqUE-ZCmNcCdBPZgHsNZg60_35.jpg

KGrHqJl4E-dtfzOGBPZgbwBg60_35.jpg

KGrHqFpEE-64fEv2BPZgW0udQ60_35.jpg

KGrHqFrcE-Yo5HRkOBPZfzVdQ60_35.jpg

These pictures were taken when my friend and I loaded it up to take it home from his dads shop. The transport couldn't come to my door do to my narrow street.

2012-06-26_17-14-13_194.jpg

2012-06-26_17-14-31_139.jpg

Looks good.Are you going to work on it the same time with your other project.

Here's some close up's in my drive way. I noticed the wiring needed replaced. It had new headers installed. I googled the part number off the side. Turns out that they are Dynomax Blackjack headers 1 3/4" primary 3" collector. Interior needs completely redone. New windshield, missing lower windshield molding. Non of the window motor's work. Headlight motor doesn't work either. K member was hit from some thing hard. Suspension is shot. Rear air shock's need replaced. Left control arm was a 69' and earlier, someone cut off the sway bar mount on it. The front sway bar is just hanging in there by the two k member mounts. Rear seat backs were gone ( got oem's from the nat's this year). Once had a rear wing installed ( no idea if stock or just added). Missing charger emblem's ( got 1 from mopar city). Engine doesn't start (turn's over).

1341777687601.jpg

1341777694895.jpg

1341777686042.jpg

1341777902500.jpg

1341777968443.jpg

1341777971331.jpg

Looks good.Are you going to work on it the same time with your other project.

Yeah, i'm swapping back and forth. It's not easy. I work on the charger till I run out of parts and go to the coronet till I run out of steam. Lol. I coronet has burn't me out several times. I'm like a little kid with the charger. Can't wait to get her going.

Yea, i'm working on two at the same time,but waiting till i can work on my 72 rallye. mine maroon,no vinyl,non-hide-away,has wing (added on)so i will be watching you work on this one.

The first thing I did was replace the engine harness with the ones from Year One. Looks a 100% better and not worried about all those crazy splices they had going on.

Next I replaced all the plugs, plug wires, pick up, reluctor, and cap. All robbed the coil from my electronic conversion kit for my old 383.

Then I bought new radiator hoses. Put the fan in the trunk back on the engine.

Had the carb rebuilt ( 69 avs). I probably should've just bought a new one but oh well..

Replaced the starter with a mini starter. Turn's over allot faster and not to metion the other one quit working all together.

From this:
2012-06-29_19-48-11_395.jpg

2012-06-29_19-47-48_636.jpg

2012-06-29_19-48-34_573.jpg

2012-06-29_19-48-20_289.jpg

2012-06-29_19-47-54_171.jpg

photobucket-44455-1348712051923.jpg

To this:

photobucket-22350-1348711976010.jpg

photobucket-47425-1348712024818.jpg

2012-08-31_18-36-28_390.jpg

2012-08-31_18-36-14_395.jpg

The guy that rebuilt my carb does allot of work for a mopar restoration shop near by. With what he had to work with, I think he did a pretty good job.

Thank's guys. Yeah I tried to fire it up earlier this evening. Had a few errands to do after work, so couldn't get to it sooner. No go.. I pulled the distributor n gear. Used my new priming tool. Ran it counter clockwise. Got good oil pressure and the gauge works!
Put it back it got it close( distributor and gear) to #1 on compression stroke. But nothing. I sprayed starting fluid down the carb. BOOM. It popped once. Then nothing. Kept priming the carb, but nothing. I rotated the disy forward and back. Not even a pop. I noticed that the clear gas filter wasn't filling up, it showed some flow but not much. I checked the carb, not squirting going on there. So I wonder if the fuel pump is bad or if I just need to keep pooring gas down the carb? It was dark and the car is outside so I decided to give it a rest and collect my thoughts. Any ideas?

shouldn't take too long to prime the carb. is the fuel pump working? possible bad pump, plugged fuel line, or crud in the fuel tank?

Well it isn't the pump! No gas comin through the squirters. Took the fuel line off the carb, gas sprayed everywhere. I guess theres something wrong with the carb. Any ideas??

Sounds like your needle valve is stuck so it cant fill the carb, take the top off and see if there is gas in the bowls, if there is its probably the pumper, squirter.. There isint some kind of wire mesh screen in the hole where line hooks to carb is there? Shouldn't be but ive seen guys do it and the little screen they shoved in was plugged..

"Took the fuel line off the carb, gas sprayed everywhere"

No. There is no screen. I took it off. I got it sitting on my bench. The guy who rebuilt it want's to check it out. So I'm just gonna leave it be for now.

I did how ever bolt up my old AFB electric choke carter. I got it to fire up finally. Sounded pretty good. There was a rattle coming from the exhaust. I hooked the timing light and it was showing the strobe down on the balancer before the 10* mark. I assume the timing is right, cause I advanced it and it wouldn't run. I ran it for about 10 minutes and it started to over heat. I took off the radiator cap and started it again (after it cooled). I didn't see the water circulating. I think the water pump is shot. I'm gonna try changing it out tomorrow after work. So I wasn't able to take a video with the over heating issue. But I will once I get that sorted out. And I'll post it here:sunny:

Good to hear you did get it running, I have a Carter AFB on mine as well, There a good carburetor i have a new 500 CFM Eddy for it but the AFB i think is a 625 and works much better on my 318.. Looking forward to your video and good luck on the carb hope you'll post what the problem was.

No go on the video today either. Found out why it was over heating, the water pump housing was plugged up with rust, lime, ect. Looked like gravel and was has hard as a rock . I chiseled away at it for an hour or so. Tried to take the heater hose nipples off. Nope. gonna need a good torch to get them to budge. Also the sending unit came out. Well the guts did, the outer threads of the probe stayed in it.. Nice. Gotta love it...1348968121601.jpg1348968120345.jpg1348968121852.jpg1348968119124.jpg1348968118607.jpg

Sounds like your needle valve is stuck so it cant fill the carb, take the top off and see if there is gas in the bowls, if there is its probably the pumper, squirter.. There isint some kind of wire mesh screen in the hole where line hooks to carb is there? Shouldn't be but ive seen guys do it and the little screen they shoved in was plugged..

"Took the fuel line off the carb, gas sprayed everywhere"

Update on the carb, I took it to the guy that worked on it. He bench tested it in right then. No squirting. Took the top off, put the accelerator pump in the carb and pushed it down, squirt squirt, put it all back together same thing as before, after about 30 minutes of checking and measuring, cussing.. He had another customer come in wanting exhaust work, so he asked if I could leave it with him. I said sure. So it certainly wasn't something I did.

Got some more progress done on the Charger. I installed the water pump and housing along with a new sender, heater hose nipples, and an after market gauge. The additional gauge is so I can actually see the temperature and just in case the stocker is not acurate or quits.
I also flushed the system and got black stuff and some rusty water out of it. Now its clean. Put some green anti freeze in it, hopefully that will stop the corrosion for a while. I was going to hook up the heater hoses to the heater core. But noticed that while I was flushing out the heater core, that water was dipping inside the car. So that will have to wait for another time.
1349726852910.jpg1349726853267.jpg
I also got my new window motor installed onto the regulator and now the window works.
I doesn't however work with the switch on the door yet. Not sure if its the wiring or the fuse. Kinda had a million things going on and didn't have time to mess with it any further. At least I don't have to use my fender covers over the window opening any more.

Here's a video of it running:headbang:
[video=youtube;hB2-gno3WUA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB2-gno3WUA[/video]

Great video! Sounds pretty good, i use the same coil the Acell.. I hooked a new stock coil to my car and it wouldn't just start right up like it usually does, put the Super stack back on and i could really tell the difference, that carb looks like new again but same one? Ive been watching for a update on what the problem was.. You just reminded me with this to check my anti-freeze lol, should be ok, but i wont take chances. Thanks for posting the video and glad to see you getting the Charger where you want it, it is, to me just as much fun making a ride as it is driving it!

- - - Updated - - -

I hope to be able to get one of these Chargers some day myself, seeing your progress and hearing that video, im getting a little yancy wanting to dig into another project if i can find the right one..

Auto Transport Service
Back